Monday, June 14, 2010

Duma Tau "Roaring Lion" Camp


Duma Tau is a ten room luxury tented camp in the private Linyanti Wildlife Reserve in northern Botswana.  Raised off the ground under a shady grove of mangosteen trees, it overlooks a large hippo-filled lagoon........and guests can enjoy the night sounds of Africa from the comfort of their rooms!  This means snorting hippos, screeching birds, and chattering monkeys, all of which are normal of course. 

Again, the most comfortable beds, en-suite bathroom facilities, plus an outdoor shower.

I liked the washbasin, and look at the cute stopper.......

............brass hippo head!


Natural wood door handle of our tent

The thatched roof was high and again mosquito nets were dropped at turn-down each night.  Babs and I were roommates here.  An unexpected extra was coming to bed and finding hot water bottles.......Babs and I had a nervous giggle when she thought an animal had been warming up her PJ's, then she turned back the duvet and spied the bottle! A nice touch for a cool night.

We made the evening game drive after a lovely welcome by camp staff.  Lazi was our guide and we immediately got along great with him, constantly picking his brain for animal and bird facts.  These guys certainly know their business - there are a few female guides but ours were all male.

Meyer's Parrots caught kissing!

The evening drive was definitely about the unusual and beautiful birds in that area. 

Helmeted Guineafowl

Marabou Stork

Blacksmith Lapwing (Plover)

Little Bee-Eater

Lilac-breasted Roller

The many tall dead trees provide spectacular lookouts for birds and make them easy to spot to photograph.

Next time, lunchtime entertainment and wonderful food.

11 comments:

  1. Another beautiful camp! I love the bird photos. Can't wait to hear about the entertainment. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room is so elegant! Hard to imagine it out in the bush! I love the bee eater...such a cute bird!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary...I have been missing you, lost the link to across the pond and decided I would hunt you down this morning and HOLY COW..you have been a busy girl. Here I thought my little trip to The Animal Kingdom in Disney a few weeks ago was something to behold!ha. I can't wait for my kids to get home from camping so I can show them your Africa pics, they will be jealous!! I hope we get to NC this summer(Jacksonville) and then hop over to Raleigh, if so I will let you know and maybe we can hit some of your great antique/flea spots!
    love,
    angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such luxury in the African bush! That guineafowl is amazing. Such an elegant black and white coat of feathers, and such a scruffy blue head! Makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...what a wonderful room you stayed in. What a fantastic adventure you were on. I love the photos of the birds-just amazing....

    Blessings.....
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, that is the way to go on safari for sure ! I heard of places like this, but never saw them up close....thanks for sharing. This is on my bucket list. :o)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary who would think of such luxury in the wild!
    I sure never imagined this!No roughing it here on this trip!
    Love the species of birds you show us! I am so happy that I found your blog!I think through PS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, just beautiful! You sure do have one heck of a steady hand on that camera! Your pictures are something else! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, the food and the tablescape looks great. Did they offer anything unusual to eat? It all looks good and lovely in it's presentation. Presentation is everything? HA! Your accommodations look beautiful. Were there many bugs?

    The bird photos just knocked my socks off. I think birds are so hard to capture. Good job Mary, they are interesting and stunning to see.

    Moving down...loving it!!!

    Love you, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I'm in awe of these amazing photos. You captured incredible images with that camera of yours. Thank you for sharing these with us. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great camp! Love the idea of outdoor showers...hmmm...that would be nice here after all of this hot, humid weather, and working in the yard. Course I wouldn't have such a lovely view either!! The little extra touches such as your towels rolled up, the way things are used, wonder how soon I can hit the lotto!!
    Take Care!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.