Thursday, June 24, 2010

Welcome to a beautiful place...........


Rattray's on MalaMala, South Africa.................the epitome of regal colonial safari-style, offering a glimpse of an era long past.


The beautiful book I was given as a remembrance of my stay.


Paula arriving at our 'home' for 5 fabulous days.

The open doorway welcomed......and the shutters, you must remember how much I LOVE shutters on the windows, outside and in!  Paula had prepared me, somewhat! "Mar, you'll love our khaya with a foyer decorated with paintings, a table to drop your bag, camera sunglasses, bug spray and key - not that it's ever necessary to lock the door -and all the luxuries so unexpected in a safari 'tent'!" 

Each khaya functions as an inclusive home, resplendent with hand-selected furnishings, lavish bathrooms, a secluded outdoor shower and private heated plunge pool.



On each side of the interior space was a beautiful dressing room with floor to ceiling mahogany closets, my side with toilet, huge marble vanity, gigantic tiled double shower, electric towel warmer on the wall, fragrant Moulton Brown of London toiletries, floor length mirror and piles of towels of the perfect weight and plushness!
 

On Paula's side, similar set-up but with claw foot tub and bubble bath by the scoop.  What more could a gal need after a dusty game drive through the bush......such luxury.


Paula, Mary, Jen and Babs....ready to roll out of camp on the afternoon game drive!  Rattray's on MalaMala has
a 4-passenger only limit in vehicles without covered tops, this allows much better wildlife viewing/photography.

Inside this lovely climate-controlled space, besides the king bed there was a second twin bed, writing desk, dining nook, comfy sofa and armchairs, armoire with TV(which of course we never watched as there were too many other exciting things going on!), every comfort one could need.

 

Doors opening onto the veranda which overlooked the Sand River where we saw elephants passing through.


Another view of the plunge pool/outdoor shower area.


Who would have thought it.......staying in such comfort while on safari in South Africa!
 
Even pretty from the rear!

Coming up next - the prevalence of antelope including impala, and the sable from which MalaMala Game Reserve takes its name, meant great wildlife viewing.  Which do you prefer?  The big guys, giraffe, rhinoceros, Cape buffalo, lion, leopard, cheetah and of course elephant.......or the little cuties such as naughty monkeys and lizards?  Of course I have more beautiful birds to show too - see you back here I hope as I share stories and photos of the last special days of my awesome safari.

18 comments:

  1. I have been on many vacations through the states that are not nearly as beautiful!! hehehe! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    This place is just amazing. I'm afraid I would never leave! Love the canopy bed and the bathroom is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! Now this is a place to rest and enjoy. Such perfection for sure. A claw foot tub, outdoor shower, and plunge pool too! Just wonderful. Every morning I look forward to reading more and seeing more of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isak Dinesen eat your heart out!
    I even love the colour of the jeep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I LOVE the place you were staying. So inspirational and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to stay, I am so envious!! Parcel being sent tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Mary! What a gorgeous place to stay while on Safari!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. This had to have been one of the most luxurious places you stayed at on the trip! I love the plunging pool and I always appreciate a spa~like bathroom. How nice!

    The impala's are beautiful creatures. I tend to lean toward the gentle animals...and monkeys freak me out!!

    xoxo
    Jane
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thanks so much for taking us along for an adventure, Mary!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My what a wonderful place! It is hard to imagine that in the middle of the safari!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad Brenda featured your blog because now I am a follower.
    What a beautiful blog to share with my boy who will love it!!
    Incredible photos of Africa, the people and wild life.
    Pamela from French Buttons

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a gorgeous place to stay. I can see why you would love to make a return trip. It is all magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The place is just beautiful - and I love your photos! Through your lens I am enjoying this safari as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing place. I could move right in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous place to stay! On the animal front I'm a 'big guy' fan, giraffe and elephant are my favourites, leopard would be if I could ever get to see one - no luck so far. Maybe next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I've always wanted a claw foot tub! What a fantastic place....they just keep getting better and better!! I was thinking that the soaps probably smelled heavenly too. Weird, I know, but I love soaps!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a gorgeous place to stay! I have been skipping all around your blog to see your safari photos. Wonderful photos, Mary.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.