Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nature's fury..................


......passed over North Carolina yesterday afternoon.

At 3:15 PM we ran to the cars and drove them away from the cottage to park in an underground deck at our nearby shopping center.  A huge shadow hung from the sky, ever darkening as the wind gained strength.  The 'watch' had turned to 'warning, usually only heard when hurricanes threaten late in Summer or early Fall.  They have come inland and caused us devastation in the past.  This time, the first since 1988, a tornado was on the way, already causing devastation to the west of us and headed on a path to take it right through Raleigh.


The shadow turned into a funnel, demolishing a Lowe's home improvement store in Sanford. The 50 employees, and another 50 customers, raced to the break rooms in the rear.  Thankfully nobody was killed as the roof was ripped off and the entire store appears as if it exploded.  Many businesses and homes south of here are lost.  Then, just a couple of miles from our home, it ripped through a mobile home park, killing at least three, two of them children according to the local news. (Edited 4-18-11: Now known, sadly all 3 of these deaths were young children). It ravaged so many small towns along its way, whole strips of shops and businesses, farming communities and neighborhoods.


Spring is not always gentle, it can be a cruel season.
This beautiful Sunday morning arrived with bright sunshine, hardly a breeze, temperatures climbing.  We have just cleaned up our debris, mostly small branches, twigs and leaves.......fortunate our work is minimal compared to many others.  Our hearts go out to those who have lost loved ones, are perhaps injured, or have lost their homes and possessions.  Please remember them in your thoughts and prayers, thank you.

25 comments:

  1. Dear Mary, I thought of you many times yesterday ... hoping you were safe. The devastation we are seeing here on newscasts is horrific.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had been busy all day and had not even heard about anything til one son called to ask it we were okay. My heart goes out to every one affected by this too. Glad you all are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to my blog and see some pictures of our neighborhood. We are fine but the neighborhood is BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mary...I was so worried about you when I read that Raleigh was affected. Thankfully you were safe. What a fright. Many prayers going out to the people who didn't fare so well...

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're OK. The manager of that Lowe's, who herded everyone into the back of the store, deserves a promotion for quick thinking -- apparently s/he just happened to be outside, saw the cloud, and knew what it was. We've been told we should get a weather radio for NOAA alerts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We heard on our news this morning of the severe storms across the southern states and I am so glad you are OK and have not suffered any damage. It must be horrible to have to go through something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awful and sad for those affected by these tornados. There seem to be a lot of them this spring. I'm glad you are safe and unharmed and I will pray for those you mentioned. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you and yours are safe Mary. My thoughts are with the families that have suffered loss and devastation.
    {{hugs}}
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary, when I saw the news last evening I immediately thought of you...did not see any details though and I had no idea of the devastation being so close to you. I am glad you and yours are safe and sound, and my heart goes out to those who are not and have lost so much. My prayers too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a dreadful thing to happen. So glad that you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, I thought of you and my other friends who live in your state. Thank goodness you are okay, but the day was so tragic for others. I am thinking of them.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you and Bob are safe Mary...one of the touchdowns was 5 miles from my sons house, but they are all fine too...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the picture of that Lowe's-how awful that was!! We had torrential rains and high winds but thankfully no tornados! I'm glad you are all right!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Mary..you are so right, spring can be cruel. We here in Iowa also have had some terrible weather also. We have been fortunate personally..but such devastation all around us. I am holding all of you in my prayers during this time.

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  15. Watching the news from the UK the devastation is awful. I am so glad you are okay, and sending my prayers to all those who are affected. Mother earth is pretty unsettled at the moment. Thank you for the post, keep safe in your pretty haven
    Hugs
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, I am so glad to hear that you are safe and sound. We were very fortunate in our part of the state that we did not have much damage. We are praying for those that have experienced the worst of it. I pray that this will be the last of the terrible spring storms. Take care! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, The storm extended into Va and at least ten people are reported dead here. This is such a tragedy and I am glad you and your family are okay.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read about this. I'm glad you were spared. Nature can be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Only just heard about this Mary & SO glad you are OK.
    We moan about the weather here but, OMG, it is a pussy cat compared with yours and those further afield.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary,

    I only just realised that you were in the line of this storm. I am so glad you are ok and your property was not damaged. So sad for those who have been killed or lost their homes. The weather can be so violent at times.

    Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read about this in our newspaper this morning and saw a photograph of that demolished store. So sad about those children - and their poor parents who now have to face the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I completely forgot where you lived until I saw your post today and I'm so glad to see you're safe! I've been watching the storm damage and the reports of deaths. I can't imagine what people are going though now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mary & yes we will be home when you visit - looking forward to seeing you both.
    When do you leave for HOME?
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you and your loved ones are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thankfully all of you are safe. Spring can be a rough time here in the south.
    Hugs to you!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.