Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Blue skies smilin' at me..............


While visiting in northern California..........


............the snowy peak of Mt. Lassen in the distance was always a perfect view through clear skies on the hot, lazy days of August.


Every day the cloudless blue sky of Summer beckoned to us........until this one morning when, for a couple of hours, clouds painted the sky in such a beautiful way.


Irving Berlin could have been sitting right here in 1926........on the shore of Lake Almanor........when he composed "Blue Skies" for the Rodgers & Hart musical "Betsy".  The show only ran for 39 performances but the song was a huge hit.  
On the opening night, star Belle Baker forgot the lyrics after 24 encores, so Berlin, who was was sitting in the front row, sang them for her!


Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see
Bluebirds singin' a song
Nothin' but bluebirds all day long

Never saw the sun shinin' so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love my how they fly

Blue days, all of them gone
Nothin' but blue skies from now on
Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see


Awesome cloud patterns made sitting and staring upward most pleasant.  The temperature was warm, the sun still sparkled on the lake, and people were enjoying water sports.


A perfect day even with clouds in the blue skies.
Talk about heaven.............


11 comments:

  1. WOW!! what a great place to chillax!! I am very envious. Love Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensational! There is no other way for me to describe those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect gentleman he was to sing the words for her! Love that story... :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Northern California light is fabulous. Gorgeous images, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, just absolutely gorgeous photos!! Thanks for sharing! Glad you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a blue quite like that here in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me hummin' along with your post. Beautiful pix :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love blue skies. Those are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, I love your beautiful blue skies on the water. The Clouds are stunning. The story of Irving Berlin and his beautiful 'Blue Skies' song is so sweet. Now that song is running through my mind like crazy. Love it!

    Sept. is almost here and I hope we can meet up the third week of Sept. when we are in Raleigh.I really want to see your booth at SuzAnna's. Most of all it will be very nice to see you again.

    We have had the busiest summer ever. It is nice to finally have a bit of time to ourselves. You have been busy too huh?

    Take care Mary,
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoying a day like this and with that song running through your mind would have been glorious and heavenly for sure. I always a sucker for water and docks like in the first picture. I would have to pose a picture at the end of the dock of an Adirondack chair with a book and a hat. This would be my dream come true for my ultimate relaxation.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.