Friday, August 26, 2011

Storms ahead.................


The garden continues its struggle with the elements but roses keep blooming despite high temperatures here.  When I arrived home from California I loved the slightly heat-weary, shabby Peace blooms scattered in front of the porch.........................


...............and even as their petals curl and fade, a Great Green Bush Cricket made this bloom his home for almost the entire day on Wednesday.

Double click to see amazing details of this bright green beauty.


We here in North Carolina now face yet another weather alert.....as if the recent earthquake didn't scare us enough.  


We wait on pins and needles as Hurricane Irene hurtles toward our already delicate coastline.  The skies are somewhat overcast this morning.  People will of course be descending on grocery stores to stock up on necessities, me included.  Sadly, a huge local annual art and craft street fair is canceled for tomorrow, as are most outdoor happenings.  We watch the news reports and wait.............hoping all will be safe and any damage minimal.  


I am two hours inland from the coast and should be OK. If you live anywhere along the eastern seaboard my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

14 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you as I watch the path of Irene. we too will be affected in some way, hopefully Irene takes the western track and leaves us with minimal damage. Our neighborhood always loses power in these big storms, sometimes for day. I know it is *just* an inconvenience, but reading by candlelight is really hard on these aging eyes. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all are battening down the hatches so to speak. I am 1 hour inland in Virginia. I sure hope everyone stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rose is lovely, and I wish you much safetly with the upcoming storm. Living in CA we expect earthquakes, and what a shock you had one. Take care, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...thinking of those in the path of the storm, and those who will feel the wrath on the edges.
    Your rose photos are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been in my thoughts, too, and I hope you escape the worst of it at least. Stay safe and fingers crossed that the storm causes minimal damage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bug! Just don't let him hop on me and I'm fine. LOL Good luck with Irene. If anything, we will probably just see a bit of rain here since we are 5 hours from the coast. Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts are with the millions that live in the path of Irene. I've lived through many hurricanes, and any destruction is hard. While we would welcome some rain, we are thankful for no other impact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luckily we are out of harms way here too in Asheville...my prayers go out to all on the coastline. A sister of mine is in RI....she is moving inland tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you all and praying you will be safe. This is more than a Breath of Fresh Air coming your way!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will be in my thoughts along with the many, many others that may suffer from this storm. Take care. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the pictures, your roses are beautiful. Also, just wanted you to know that when I see the top of your blog it makes me smile. I never realized how beautiful yellow could be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally got my computer back from all the grandkids we watched this summer so hope to visit you more. We aren't expecting much here near Asheville but you all are in our prayers that the people in the affected areas will head the warnings. Take care Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Mary.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. This little cricket is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.