Monday, December 31, 2012

Coming and going..............


......or going and coming!
Home is where you make it.

Looking across Tor Bay to Berry Head  

Leaving home in drizzle and mist......no matter, I loved it still and know I'll return........


.......perhaps on a sunny Spring or Summer day another year.


On the way back home to the US through heaving Heathrow Airport, such a busy crossroad in the world.


Taking off and flying over beautiful Windsor Castle and Windsor Great Park. My mother actually grew up in this charming town, playing at the castle, as her father was a member of the Coldstream Guards, sporting a uniform with the busby hat just like the guardsman in this photo above.


Heading across the pond, over the snow covered Maritimes of Eastern Canada, New England, New York and New Jersey, Washington, D.C. and down home to the southeast...........arriving on a crisp but sunny afternoon after a comfortable 8-1/2 hour flight.  As I said - home is where you make it.

So here I am, back in North Carolina for the New Year's Eve celebration. Bob has a heavy cold (everyone in the UK had the same and kindly shared it with him!), I don't need it with my big trip looming closer........so we are celebrating here at home in front of the hearth - our first fire of the season - and at midnight, if jet lag doesn't catch up with us before then, we'll be popping the cork, pouring the sparkling bubbly and drinking to each of you.

Wishing you all a healthy, happy, prosperous, and joyful 
New Year. I hope it will be your best year ever.
Thank you for being such amazing friends. Each one of you 
who stops here, reads my posts, looks at my photos from 
around the world, and leaves such kind and thoughtful 
comments, brings so much comfort and joy to me.......I 
truly am grateful.
See you in 2013........first stop ANTARCTICA (click to see itinerary).


12 comments:

  1. Great photographs especially from the plane, of Windsor Castle, where we were last Thursday. We are lucky to be cold free, which is a surprise as my grandson was full of one last Friday when I looked after him!!
    Enjoy the bubbly, don't forget "Auld Lang Syne" at Midnight!! Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it home safe and sound. I hope Bob feels better soon!

    I hope we are able to get together this year Mary. Kent and I really enjoy your and Bob's visits. And you have to seem my new home, right?

    Happy New Year!
    xo
    Penny and Kent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home, sweet friend. I'll be toasting you as well. Here's to another year of wonderful adventures. I love traveling along with you virtually.
    Happy New Year! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arriving home is one of the best parts of a trip. A cozy evening in front of the fire is what we have planned, too. I hope Bob feels better very soon.

    Happy New Year, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary, I am so glad you are both home and safely relaxing in front of your cozy fireplace! It is so chilly today-but no snow??? Have a wonderful happy New Year's Eve and relaxing Day. Hope to see you soon...much love and hugs, Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know that you are home safe and sound and had such a good time in Devon despite the rain.

    All the best to you both for 2013, I look forward to reading about your trip to Antarctica, I can no longer travel so enjoy reading about the places that other people visit, and you have visited some super destinations in 2012.

    Take care,

    Love and hugs.

    Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are back safe and sound, have a relaxing evening. I know that the weather did not bother you, but really it has been exceptionally wet. Next time you come visiting we will probably all be sporting duck feet and quacking!!!
    Fantastic photo from the plane of Windsor castle, you must have been pleased with that.
    All the best in 2013 and happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year. Glad to see you both had a lovely time catching up with your family and friends. The weather was typically British ,rain and more rain! It must be good to be home again and toast the new year sitting by your own fire.
    I just learnt of your next adventure, make sure you get some rest before then. Another amazing experience for you and Paula. I am shivering at the thought of those temperatures, as someone who always has cold feet.
    Hope the year brings you more wonderful adventures, look forward to seeing the photographs.
    All the best to you both for a happy and healthy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Mary! Sounds as though it's going to be an exciting one too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your stories about England! Glad you had a great visit home and wish you all the best in the coming year. Antarctica????!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to be home for awhile. Yes, home is where the heart is. Hope you have not taken the cold. I ended up with a virus about a week before Christmas and still coughing. The doctor says it can last up to 4 weeks, oh no I say. May you have a blessed New Year. When you mention Antarctica I think of a good friends son that is working there right now. He just loves it. Happy travels for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new year Mary! Looks like you have a lovely new adventure already planned for this year
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.