Saturday, June 22, 2013

Japanese styles..................


One of my recent favorite things was having the 
chance to visit Japan.....and 
viewing the styles of dress worn by 
Japanese women and children.


This lovely lady in traditional geisha dress 
greeted us upon arrival at the dock 
in Niigata where our ship, the Caledonian Sky, 
was waiting to transport us to wild 
and remote islands. 

The history of the Geisha in Japan is 
fascinating - read more HERE.


Childcare in Tokyo seems well organized and all the children certainly get to wear great hats!




Sweet little girls, dressed in wonderful costumes, danced 
and sang for us at the dockside in Hokkaido.


Tokyo schoolgirls in their uniforms - being a 
Brit I also attended schools where uniforms 
were mandatory - I loved them.




Teens starting to show their fashion sense.


Ladies queueing up for sweet treats.




A female rickshaw driver in a tourist area.


Young girls assisting at the Meiji Jingu Shrine, Tokyo.


From the bus, a glimpse of a well-dressed lady working in her small vegetable garden.


The elderly lady who was cooking fish in the back room 
of a small shop we stopped at for tea in Aomori.

I'd love to spend more time in Japan!



Linking this post to Claudia at Mockingbird Hill Cottage for her A Favorite Thing Saturday party.


11 comments:

  1. Such a variety of clothing styles there. My friend has been there on a teacher exchange and shared her photos, stories and purchases with her students here. It's a very interesting culture, climate and people. I hope you have an enjoyable weekend. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I have enjoyed your pictures. I especially loved the children's pictures. Got a kick out of their shoes...Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be fun to relive your trip as you post the photos and commentary here. I so enjoy "traveling" with you, Mary! Your photos of Japan are particularly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos! Agree, the history of the Geisha is fascinating. Visiting from A Favorite Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby prams look like some I've seen in China. So sensible to transport small ones together that way, instead of in isolation one by one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love seeing photos of the people you see on your travels. Lovely, lovely, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos of people and places in Japan. Such interesting clothing and I love the little ones in their costumes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for these glimpses of daily life in Japan. It's wonderful that you have picked out little details to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to visit Japan. Love these photos, Mary - such a wonderful glimpse into the lives and styles of Japanese women, girls and children. My nephew married a girl from Japan (he speaks the language fluently) and travels there quite often.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just charming, you really captured the flavor of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos, Mary. I've always admired how neat and well-put-together the Japanese are. I love how they have unfussy styles with fantastic design elements.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.