Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A pale palette and Jeanne d'Arc Living . . . . . . . . . .


One of the most beautiful magazines published for several years in Denmark, is Jeanne d'Arc Living. When I started reading/drooling over the photography - I don't speak Danish so was unable to actually read it - seeing all those amazing Scandinavian homes decorated in French/Nordic and Euro Farmhouse style, I knew I'd found the simple, clean-looking bright style for my own small cottage home!

It wasn't too long before they started publishing the magazine in English which of course made me love it even more. I was then able to read crafting instructions, recipes, and the lovely descriptions of the interiors of homes scattered about the Scandinavian countryside, written by Vivian, Lonnie, and their staff working from the magazine's beautiful farmhouse location in Denmark.

When I say "magazine" don't expect a flashy, shiny, flimsy type of publication - and with only a minimal amount of advertising at the back, turning each page is a pleasureInstead, you will hold a large format beautiful almost book - a quality, heavy matte paper printed in soft colored inks, well-worth its price. You may share with friends, but only with a promise they will return it. You won't toss it or recycle it ever! You will enjoy a stack used as a decoration as I do, white spines looking elegant on a shelf alongside, or even supporting, your cherished collectibles and treasures.










All photos from my cottage this week.
Please know these are my own thoughts on the magazine - I am not being
reimbursed in any way. 

As neutral as all this seems, the latest news from Jeanne d'Arc Living - read 
their blog HERE - is that they are adding a little color to life!  
They are starting a line of paints in exquisite vintage colors - hopefully available
 here in the USA later. 
In their current blog post you can read the reasons for stepping back a wee bit
 from all 'white and weathered' but still focusing on the French/Nordic theme they 
are known for of course. 

Personally, I'm ready to perhaps add a little more turquoise or green when
 springtime arrives later. I've just ordered a copy of the
 January 2016 Jeanne d'Arc Living which is on its way, can't wait to see it.


20 comments:

  1. I used to buy their issues all of the time for inspiration with my mosaics. I haven't seen one in a few years. I am going to check out their blog. Thanks for the reminder Mary!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of your decor Mary, which is always so classic and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the Jeanne D'Arc influence in your home, Mary - always so lovely. I have paged through the magazine from time to time but haven't yet bought one. Do you subscribe or do you pick it up in a shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just order one online from a US dealer now and then - don't have all that have been published. Don't know of any bookstores who carry the publication here. Wish one could just go into B&N, or likewise, and find it on the mag. rack!

      Thanks for stopping by H - off to see your post now and catch up.
      Mary -

      Delete
  4. The Jeanne D'Arc magazines are beautiful. I have just two of them, and you are right - they are almost like books. You've interpreted the look so well for your own home, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new city house is in all things cream, ivory, beige etc. I just love it. I can't do enough of it. The former formal dining room is a welcoming room now in the palest of blue and cream. I am in heaven with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live with a whole lot of color and pattern. Not sure I could do pale anything, but you've certainly made the look quite cozy in your cottage. I visited their blog -- nice paint colors. And I like that the blog is just rather plain and simple. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Mary - Oh I'm a huge JDL fan too!
    I was thrilled to see turquoise is one of their "new" colours!
    I'm hooked on this colour since watching the final series of Downton Abbey before Christmas. I didn't want it to end... however, Mums the word as I know you're all watching it!
    Sorry, I digress!
    I've been looking for inspiration to bring colour into my living room and I found it on DA, the perfect turquoise! I’ll get some advice and use it in fabrics and other touches! I have a post lined up to tell you all about it!
    Your collections and vingettes are always inspiring Mary dear!
    I've noticed everything is sparkling too - no dust covered china pieces on your shelves ha ha!

    Love
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your new changes Shane - I love turquoise too. Yes, we're on the final series of DA - Sunday was the wedding of Carson and Mrs. Hughes - lovely, especially with you know who showing up (no spoilers for those who have still to view perhaps).
      Sparkling, only just - but I did take everything down and washed all the china after putting Christmas decor away - lot of work but well worth the effort!
      Mary -

      Delete
  8. I LOVE Jeanne d'Arc Living Magazine Mary and have been a subscriber to it for quite a few years now. I did decide to give this year a miss because I do have so many and they can sometimes be a little samey so, I thought that a year off would be a good idea but now that you tell me it's a little different, with a splash of colour { COLOUR !!!! .... Jeanne d'Ard Living ?!!!!! } I might have to subscribe again !!! Love the photographs of your home Mary. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are delightful - your home is such a welcoming and beautiful place. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only had a few issues and I've always loved how thoughtful and personable the writers are. Well, the pictures of beautiful homes and spaces are so wonderful! I see the influence in your beautiful home, Mary.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. All Scandinavian and Nordic people seem to have a tremendous sense of style and know exactly goes with what, but you are right up there with them Mary, your home and settings always look picture book perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad they are adding color .. after a while it gets a bit boring and dull to be all white and beige ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have unbelievable collection! they look so aristocratic. It feels like touch to history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't mind living amongst whites and neutrals but my husband loves colour so we have to reach a happy medium. Having said that, I adore turquoise and all its variants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have the most beautiful collection of lovely vintage pieces. I too am a lover of everything Jeanne d'Arc Living. I sell their home decor and their lovely clothes in my shop space here in North Carolina. Their customer service is impeccable and they are wonderful people with whom to do business. I love their magazine and their style.
    hugs,
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sissie, you are most kind. Wondering if you sell the Jeanne d'Arc Living magazine in your Etsy shop? Please let me know.
      Lovely accolades for the JDL team - I'm glad to know they treat their stockists well - they do seem like an amazing group of creative women.
      Mary -

      Delete
  16. How lovely are those little acorns! Where did you find them? Beautiful photos, as always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes, of course, I am totally familiar with this high quality print/well designed magazine. For some reason, I never actually realised it was Danish in origin (always having assumed it was French)! I love the magazine and have only bought it twice--both for winter/xmas occasions. So beautiful. It is indeed like holding a work of art, more than a magazine, per se.

    I have to chuckle too as I see the Country Journal up on your stack of magazines there too. I so love that journal! Every season I will go to Barnes&Noble and we will leisurely go through it, admiring all the gorgeous photos, homes. etc.

    Finally, yes, I love the Vintage paint colours Jeanne d'Arc Living displayed on their blog and how they showed them too in a quite novel way with the paint still in the can, waiting expression on walls or what have you--perfect for their write up.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.