Monday, August 29, 2016

Ginger Jars. . . . . . . . . . . . .



Centuries of Chinese culture and history surround the ginger jar. 
The popular covered ginger jars originated in Imperial China in the Qin Dynasty
during which the Great Wall was built.

Shaped with a wide mouth, a domed lid, and the bulbous painted body, 
it comes in many styles and sizes, and is often painted in different colors.
  A true Chinese ginger jar is usually made of porcelain and hand painted.
These beautiful jars were originally used to store food supplies such as salt,
 herbs, oil and ginger which were exported to the West.
In the 19th century ginger jars became a fashionable item and were mass 
produced for export to the West where they were used as decorative elements
 rather than functional items.

The white ginger jar, such as these I found in a New Hampshire shop some
 years ago - no longer with their domed lids, but wish I had purchased -
 is the traditional Chinese wedding gift.  

I think they are are really beautiful.



11 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous, Mary. And you've displayed them beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary, Your Chinese jars are beautiful and I love thee way you have displayed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Gina, I didn't buy them - that was how they were displayed in the shop.

      Mary -

      Delete
  3. I have one of those and it is minus the lid also. I just love blue and white pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful and I can see why you still regret leaving them behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Perfect for a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful. They would make such wonderful storage jars for tea, if they had the lids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a collection of blue and white ginger jars, started years and years ago . My first blue and white Ginger Jar was bought at an auction .. along with a massive mirror :)
    I now have quite a few. . I buy them when I see them/like them. I have a few mirrors also lol Aren't they lovely ? they go anywhere and with everything .. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shape of ginger jars, so elegant as with most of Chinese designs.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.