Saturday, February 4, 2017

Cross country covers . . . . . . .


I'm wondering if I've made the right decision!
Last week I took a 'leap of faith' and I'm hoping it will work out fine.
Before committing to a new sofa purchase, I found a company which 
does professional textile dyeing. . . . . . . including slip covers!
After checking them out by phone and reading positive reviews of others who
 have had covers dyed, I whipped these white ones off the sofa and big armchair 
on the right (didn't send the natural French linen slip cover on the small chair by the
 fireplace as I just might dye it later - indigo blue, aubergine, or some brilliant hue),
 and headed to UPS. There they packed my covers in a big box and soon they
 were on their way across the USA.
 Yesterday they arrived in Oregon where, hopefully, within a few weeks, they will
 be turned into a perfect medium dark grey and then travel those
 2,860 miles back east.

When I mentioned another option about the slip covers versus a new sofa,
this was it. It seems perhaps a good way to know if I really want a grey sofa.
Of course I know it still means we will be going through those
 'slip cover battles' for a while longer BUT nowhere near as often as with
 white covers. I'm prepared to try the dye job, hopefully will love
them and be showing them to you later.
Meanwhile this what we're living with for now - a bit of a green mishmash!
I laundered the antique French linen cloth from the dining room table and draped
 it to hide part of the old damask upholstery on the sofa. Although I'm not into
 green decor right now, apparently it's a trendy color this year (Pantone's Color
 of the Year 2017 is Greenery) so I will love it for a few weeks until the grey covers return.
Yes, it's that time of year again. The cottage needs sprucing up and 
I need to get busy.
Sunny Saturday morning here though somewhat cooler - hope your weekend
is full of bright moments.


11 comments:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed that the covers work out happily for you Mary - I suspect that they will be lovely and you will be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Mary. You are going full pelt into Spring decorating, and it's only February!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what the people in Oregon do for you. What a clever idea! I haven't begun to think of Spring yet, except for buying flowers to spruce things up. Last year was my year to have everything in the living room reupholstered and it still feels like new to me. I will be looking for some flower pillows though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finger crossed you will love it. That first photo...g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dyeing the covers is a good way to see if you'll like the grey. You're full of ideas and projects. I wish I were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and choice, Mary...I really look forward to seeing them! We reupholstered a settee and 2 glider rockers at the lake and I was so pleased. When a piece is well made, new covers are perfect. Going to do the same with the sofa here in the city. But decisions for the fabric! Yikes!

    Cold, cold, cold here!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mary, How exciting for you. I think that you have chosen a perfect color. Looking forward to seeing the results once you add the pillows and all the other changes in your cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My settee is grey, too - but our living rooms couldn't look more different if we tried :-)
    I like yours very much, it is just a completely different style (and approach). Isn't it great that we have so much choice, that nearly everyone can furnish and decorate their homes as they like? Variety is the spice of life, they say, and I fully agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance I thought what a beautiful room. Then I read that you have sent the slipcovers off to be dyed . You seem to have great taste, so I will bet they will look great. can't wait to see. have a nice weekend. Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is a great idea. Did they come back yet? Do they look as good as you had hoped?

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.