Friday, December 29, 2017

The iceman cometh. . . . . . . . . . .


. . . . . . and the Mourning doves too.

Opening the blinds on this the coldest morning of December yet, a solitary
 dove was poised on the edge of the birdbath, all puffed and fluffy-looking.
"Will they come with warm water and melt the ice" may have been 
its thoughts. Of course we will. 
Don't forget, birds require water as well as food to survive, and 
during these cold spells its often hard for them to find any.

We are seeing a lot of birds in the garden on these cold days - I'll be sharing more later.

Within the hour, once the sun appeared, an entire family of doves had arrived. 
These quiet and gentle birds are definitely one of my favorites.
Off now with the tea kettle to melt the ice. . . . . . we have four birdbaths so it
will take a while. These photos were all taken from my windows - too cold to be
outside yet! 

Our neighbor just informed us the local family of four deer were
traversing our front lawn last night - oh how I wish I'd seen them!
Sometimes I feel I really do live in the country.

15 comments:

  1. They are beautiful birds. We had a bear in our yard Christmas Eve and broke our bird feeder to get to the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird bar on my kitchen windowsill has been open for weeks, complete with a gold-rimmed porcellain water basin (an old salad bowl) - drink in style, I always say! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos of such a lovely bird. We have many here too filling up at the feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little fellows. it's so cold outside and I feel for them so much. Wish I could just bring them into the house...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mourning Doves...my absolute favourite bird. They have such a wonderful coo. We hear them year round and I feel so grateful. We feed the birds all winter. Not just to help them out, but we also enjoy watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful photos, Mary! Good for you melting the ice for the wildlife to drink. At the moment, I'm putting out water daily for the wildlife, mostly birds, as we are getting very hot and humid days.

    Happy New Year to you and yours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear little doves. I am wondering where the birds go in the very cold weather, I have not seen one for days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I have a State Forest behind my home so there are all kinds of forest creatures that are free to roam ... last week a few deer wandered around the back gardens .. there are other little creatures that come and go and I am always delighted, as if I never saw one before ! :) But as cold as it is here now, I worry about the small creatures that are not used to freezing temps in Florida !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are exquisite, Mary. And taken from a window? Wow!

    I got your card today with the instructions for the tree. I didn't expect that, and even Alan remarked on how very nice it was of you. I absolutely don't care about the time of year in making one (or more!). I do, after all, live in Evergreen Park!!

    Happy New Year!

    Jane xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane - glad you got it. Yes, you could make an entire forest of little trees, haha!
      Happy New Year dear.
      Mary -

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos Mary. Wishing you and Mr B a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Gina - best to you and G too - hope we see you in 2018! New calendar up - looking at your pond photo now!
      Mary -

      Delete
  11. I love mourning doves. They're such pretty birds and I love their coo. I feed the birds all winter, but I don't know what to do about water here. It is -22 with the wind chill factor right now. Do you know if they will "drink" the snow?

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are electric ice melters for birdbaths I believe Melanie - I haven't gone there though! Just pop out now and then with hot water. Never seen a bird licking snow but perhaps they do - interesting thought!
    Stay warm and a very Happy New Year to you.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful birds. I do love mourning doves also. How amazing to have deer in your yard too. Thanks for taking care of our feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.