Friday, May 25, 2018

. . . . . . still hanging out in the potting shed.


I've just realized that the potting shed is now 17 years old!
For those who've followed me a while, you will recall I've told many stories
of its life in the garden. . . . . . and the hours of enjoyment it has brought
me over all those years.



After repairing the door with our good neighbor's help, I did a 'Spring cleaning' 
 and also made a little purchase for my comfort when bird watching/photographing. 
On a recent trip to Charlotte with the usual look around IKEA, I found this folding
 wood chair which is now my 'perch'. I can see the feeders and bird baths 
without the visiting birds, squirrels and rabbits seeing me!


View from potting shed.
American Robin : Turdus migratorius

This female came for an afternoon bathe on a very hot day 
last week. I've noticed robins seem to enjoy a dip more than any 
other backyard songbird.



Gray Catbird : Dumetella carolinensis

A secretive bird that the Chippewa Indians named Bird That Cries With Grief
due to its raspy call. The call sounds like a house cat's mewing, hence its 
common name. It will only nest in thick shrubs and is more often
 heard than seen. . . . . . except it does seem to enjoy coming to my feeders
and the birdbath!




I plan to spend some my holiday weekend out here as more rain is forecast
 and this is a shelter where I can enjoy the backyard visitors.

My painted/stenciled floor has held up quite well all these years -  I recall
the hours I spent on my knees completing that project.
Oh for the days of a strong back and pain-free kneeling again!!!!!

 Mourning Doves : Zinaida macroura

A gentle pair enjoying their perch on the potting shed roof.
Enjoy your Memorial Day, USA and Bank Holiday, UK weekend.


9 comments:

  1. A sweet spot for you to observe. I imagine the fan is used often, too. It's nearly a 100° in the sun here today so I can only imagine how warm it might be for you. Have a very pleasant weekend.

    (I'm commenting using my laptop, which seems the better way to go. So far, no troubles!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your potting shed is beautiful . . . you put me to shame. Mine is a mess right now filled with empty pots and tools and everything left from planting the garden. Now that the garden is planted it's time to clean up the shed. I love that photo of the bird shaking the water from his bath. So glad I visited, your blog is delightful.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your potting shed and all of it's surroundings. Have a lovely weekend Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to have that sweet potting shed! Your bird pictures are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary :) Enjoy your beautiful potting shed!! It looks so cozy in your yard. Those are some great shots of the birds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serene. You really know how to enjoy life Mary. The robin bath made my day. It''s getting hot here too. Spring went by too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely shed to watch the birds from. I love the new chair too. Enjoy the weekend and your beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and brilliant pictures as always, Mary! Your shed looks more inviting and homely than some people's living rooms :-) I think even I would feel inspired to work on some repotting etc. in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your potting shed, Mary and I enjoyed this chance to take a peek inside. What a fun place to play in and hide out with a cool beverage while spying on the birdies. You do capture the most wonderful shots. Your action shot of the robin bathing is charming. I don't think I've spotted the gray catbird in my yard. I'd better start paying better attention.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.