Saturday, September 1, 2018

September arrives and an early market visit. . . . . . . .



"Best I love September's yellow,
Morns of dew-strung gossamer,
Thoughtful days without a stir,
Rooky clamours, brazen leaves,
Stubble dotted o'er with sheaves -
More than Spring's bright uncontrol
Suit the Autumn of my soul."
                                ~ Alex. Smith ~


Thoughts of Autumnal days have filled my head this week.
The garden looks sad and will soon need attention - especially tree and
 shrub pruning. It's still too hot to work outside, highs in the 90's plus
 steamy humidity of 95% make the heat index around 102F.

Bob did mow yesterday and came in drenched and 2 lbs. lighter!
How come that happens to guys - we work hard too but losing weight
is always so difficult.
 The garden at least looks a bit neater for the holiday weekend.

 I've spent time in the cool of the kitchen with the rolling pin and fresh fruits.
Made this galette using fresh peaches from the farmers' market 
and blueberries from the store.


I made the pie crust last weekend for the deep dish spinach quiche (below)
and had enough remaining for this dessert.
Gina shared her dough recipe when we made a similar quiche during
 my recent visit to the farm in Utah. It was so good I couldn't wait to try my
 own. Really good, but I missed dining al fresco with such lovely friends,
 the sun setting over the pond, geese honking their 'goodnights', and mountains
 in the background!


Cooking outdoors over this holiday weekend may not be enjoyable in such heat. 
Salads sound perfect - juicy slicing tomatoes  - cheese with good bread or
 crackers - a chilled bowl of ice cream - a fresh peach dripping down the chin.
Life is what we make it - eating doesn't have to be complicated - especially 
in hot weather.

We just popped across to the neighborhood farmers' market for tomatoes and 
corn. Already steamy hot, quite busy with people and some lovely dogs - all
behaving well on a sunny Saturday morning.

Welcome to September.
Enjoy your Labor Day Holiday wherever you are, whatever you do.

11 comments:

  1. Good morning from gray, gloomy, rainy IL! Your food looks delicious. Would you mind sharing the quiche recipe with me, including the crust? I'd really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quiche looks incredibly yummy!! I am a total spinach fan and love quiches, so the combination of the two is a sure win with me.
    What is it about September that it has such a special appeal to all of us? Whichever blog I have been reading today (including my own yesterday), every blogger is referring to the start of September in a way that does not happen with the start of any other month, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so NOT a Summer person Meike! I hate - heat and humidity sapping my energy, hot weather clothes (and caring for same - always washing and ironing!), having to keep windows closed and sitting in air conditioned spaces (unhealthy!), mosquitoes, flies and other biting insects, my always straight hair now turning wavy and frizzy in my old age making me feel untidy (I think I'll have to go back to short hair). . . . . . . . and I did mention mosquitoes didn't I?

      So September I welcome - although here it's not much different from August - BUT at least it's getting closer to October, the first frost to kill the biters, and my birthday month and favorite month!

      Mary -

      Delete
  3. Mary your galette and quiche look wonderful. We are in the mid 80's here. We had so much rain this summer that my tomatoes and basil are looking worse for wear. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Penny - enjoy also. 91F here right now and thunder in the distance. Continuing in the low 90's for all next week, yuck!
      My tomatoes have been poor - basil did well though - will make last batch of pesto for the freezer soon.

      Delete
  4. OOO...your food is beautiful. I am on my way to the store for fresh peaches...I will make a pie..or perhaps a rustic galette...and I love quiche...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great to me bj - I know you are an excellent cook!

      Delete
  5. Happy Labor Day weekend, dear friend!
    I had been hearing you were having hot weather still. No fun at all. Our weather has cooled and there is just a feeling of Autumn in the air, especially with the days shortening too.
    Loved the quote and picture. September certainly does bring in still alot of fresh produce, but also the thoughts of dark nights and cooler days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary, Even though I made the pie crust and quiche I would love to have your recipe. I never write anything down. So, who knows, how my next quiche or pie will turn out.
    It was a lot of fun cooking together in my kitchen. Plums and pears, even Asian pears and apples are ripe. Maybe you can come back?

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.