Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Monday in the city -



United States Capitol building - October 22, 2018

Home the United States Congress and seat of the 
legislative branch of the U.S. federal government.
Located on Capitol Hill at the eastern end of the
 National Mall, construction started in 1793. 
It is 288 feet high, and sits on a plateau 88 feet
 above the Potomac River.

Washington Monument - October 22, 2018

The first city landmark I noticed when
 I arrived in Washington D.C. in 1962
 was this one, the towering 
Washington Monument at the western 
end of the National Mall.
It was visible from my windows. After
 dark I could even see its flashing red 
aviation warning lights
 at the very top when lying in bed. 
When I'm back in the city I realize
 how omnipresent it is and probably
 visible from many, many windows!


The Washington Monument, constructed 1848-1884, 
was the tallest building in the world until the
 Eiffel Tower was built in Paris.
It is an obelisk, 555 feet high, built to commemorate
 George Washington, first President of the United States. 

 No building in Washington D.C. is allowed to be
 taller than the monument. Climbing the monument
 is no longer allowed, the 898 steps (50 flights each
 with a resting platform) were causing health issues
 for some visitors. I did climb it once, probably in 1963
when young, agile, and not thinking about
heart attacks!

The monument is closed until Spring 2019 as the
 National Park Service modernizes the elevator
 system - the original elevator ride to the top took
 20 minutes - and also constructs a permanent
 screening facility for visitors entering the landmark.

It is impressive, as is so much of Washington D.C.
We try to visit once a year as we have so many 
memories of this city, having lived there, met there
and married there.
If you haven't visited, hope you can some day.


8 comments:

  1. Apparently visited there with my parents as a toddler, which I clearly don't remember. Was there again with my youngest when we took a tour through several states before settling him in at college. That was 2 years ago and I recall the monument also being closed at that time. You got some great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I didn't know you met your husband in Washington. It's rather grand, in an American sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful place to visit. My favorites are the museums. Donna@gather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Not sure I would want to take a 20 minute elevator ride inside the Washington Monument, but it would be special just stand there and see it from every angle possible. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is highly unlikely I ever make it to the US again after the one holiday in Florida I took in 1999, but I can at least get a glimpse of some places through your blog :-)
    I can't believe they closed the stairs to the public because some people would not make the 50 flights... Should people not be able to know themselves well enough to decide whether that long climb is for them or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently there were some heart attack issues - I suppose one never really knows when something that drastic might occur Meike.
      We are inclined to think only the elderly are prone but there are young people who also have unknown heart issues also.
      Hope you will come back some day to see the other beautiful areas of this country very different from Florida, such as New England and the Rocky Mountains etc. - plenty of great hiking there for you and O.K. - and of course you must come to see our scenic North Carolina coast and mountains too!

      Mary -

      Delete
  6. It looks like Washington has turned on beautiful weather for your special visit Mary!
    The Capitol building is a stunning piece of architecture.
    I love your story about seeing the Monument from your bedroom window.... life must have been very exciting for you in those days!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have as yet not seen DC but would love to!
    I had no idea that the Washington Monument was the tallest building in the world until the Eiffel Tower was later built!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.