Thursday, November 15, 2018

Cardinals never leave. . . . . . . .


Northern cardinal : Cardinalis cardinalis

The name comes from the LATIN word cardinalis which 
means 'important.'

The sweet, pale-feathered female cardinal is a very familiar backyard bird.
 Along with many bright red males usually close by, they are non-migrators.
 They are extremely territorial in springtime, however become non-territorial
 during winter and gather in small flocks of up to 20 birds. 
We enjoy their visits to our feeders and bird baths, and the now bare fig tree
 is a favorite perch as they go about their day come rain or shine.


 Male Northern cardinal.


I managed to get photos from the window of Mrs. Cardinal yesterday, and
 brilliant red Mr. Cardinal today, when the rain stopped for a while. 
Everywhere is saturated and today yet another storm continues to
 bring nonstop rain for the entire day.

Garden - November 2018

Much of autumn still clings to wet branches.
 While all around the air turns brisk and damp.
 Winter stirs in the heart and mind.

9 comments:

  1. I tried to get a picture of a cardinal at the feeder in the snow today but he kept spotting me in the window and flying off. They are both beautiful aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Mary. We can't have feeders because of the bears around here. We finally have sunshine here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary,
    I love the way that sassy little cardinal has perched himself into the fig tree. Another fine image for your stationary collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, Mary! Cardinals are such colorful birds; nothing like what we have here. I've never seen one in person, but would love to. I am reminded of a phrase I read somewhere in one of Elizabeth Goudge's books, maybe her autobiography, where she said the trees in winter with their bare branches look all bejewelled by all the colorful little birds sitting on them and it was difficult to choose which was more beautiful, the bejewelled trees of winter or in the spring with their lovely blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ask my grandson what my favorite bird is, he would say "a cardinal". How I love them. They have such a unique call too. When we lived in Kansas they did migrate; so we didn't have them in the winter. How I loved it when they returned in the Spring. You are very fortunate to have them year round. I do miss them in the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful birds to watch and photograph from your window Mary.
    Mr Cardinal is very flamboyant!
    Lovely snippets of your Autumn garden in this collage.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the most beautiful birds in your beautiful garden .... I love that photograph bottom left in the collage .... I'm sure I saved it from Pinterest ... would that be possible ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my potting shed in autumn Jackie - don't think it made it to Pinterest though!
      Leaves are coming down now just when we're off to Arizona for Thanksgiving! Plenty of raking - and hopefully dry weather and sunshine when doing it - will be awaiting us on our return!
      Thanks for stopping by - we've gotta keep blogging!!!
      Hugs - Mary

      Delete
  8. They are such beautiful birds. We only see them rarely around here!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.