Saturday, February 23, 2019

Music, organizing and food. . . . . .


. . . . . . . coping with another dreary Saturday.

I'm listening to Sir. Edward Elgar's beautiful, atmospheric Enigma Variations
 as I write on this dismal, rain-soaked day. 
Music that stirs the imagination, perhaps sad, but always thought provoking. 
The 'Nimrod: Lux Aeterna' is my favorite opus. 
This older orchestral version (Sir John Barbirolli : HallĂ© Orchestra) astounding
 of course, but I'm also listening, as I so often do, to the amazing vocal from
 VOCES8, the much-loved British a cappella group - do listen if you haven't
 heard this before, or even if you have.


Keeping busy indoors is perhaps the way to deal with weather such as we've
 been having most of this month. . . . . . . . . a lot of wet, dark days.
There were a couple of pleasant days, such as the ones I grabbed and ran with into
 the garden to prune the fig tree, and pick a bunch of the first blooming daffodils!


Here in the dining room, earlier today, working on re-doing my one of my
 filing boxes - the vintage rabbit cage being my catch-all sitting on the floor next
 to my desk upstairs. Found the package of dark blue 'Celestial' folders on the
 Sale shelf of World Market a few days ago.



Leftover from Christmas - packaging not opened until yesterday so still fresh - an
 Italian Panettone! 
 A warmed slice for Saturday breakfast alongside a coffee, then some baked into 
a 'comfort food', bread pudding, yum, and to heck with the carbs right now.



All is not lost though. Perhaps a bad hair day for the 
proverbial 'bluebird of happiness' as the rain tipples down, 
but the beautiful music plays on.

4 comments:

  1. Pannetone is very comforting, whichever way you eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so over these gloomy, rainy, icy days. Bread pudding sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One must keep busy on these winter days - and you've found the perfect way. First thing this morning I paid all the bills for March - even got new tags for the car - and the made bread, it is rising in the oven right now - and next an apple cake - some for the freezer and some for munching on with a nice cup of tea. May your sunshine and flowers return soon - I have some daffodils peeking above the ground now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, bread pudding! I have not had it for ages. As you say, "to heck with the carbs!" Comfort food is what's needed on gloomy days. There are patches of blue sky here, and plenty of leftover patches of white snow on the ground yet - more than a week after our "snowmaggedon!" Cooler temperatures are causing slow melting.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.