Saturday, January 3, 2015

Gathering. . . . . . .



Although I culled my cookbook collection a few months ago - sharing with 
a friend and a granddaughter who both love to cook - I always keep a little  
list of cookbooks I've made note of and would love to have. I suppose this means 
I will be forever adding to, and subtracting from, the rows of books that  fill up 
and spill out from two kitchen shelves.


This Christmas, I believe a little elf took a peek at my list and told my 
granddaughter Jasmin that this book was mentioned. Imagine my excitement when 
I opened my present on Christmas Eve and out popped Sunday Suppers in its 
lovely linen-look binding. Full of recipes and beautiful photos, the introduction tells
about the start and growth of a very special Brooklyn, NY idea where supper has 
turned into some amazing gatherings of families, friends and even
 invited strangers. I love cookbooks with personal stories and history, ones that read 
more like novels than just recipes. Looks like I will be spending time reading, 
then cooking, from this book. I love the idea of casual gatherings, kept simple, 
but delicious.


Do you enjoy collecting cookbooks?
Did you receive any exciting cookbooks as gifts?


15 comments:

  1. I love cookbooks, especially those tjat include anecdotes and good photos. Cheosas gift exchange may or may not occur this year, bit o have my eye on another Ina Garten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stalked your blog since the early days without comment, but this cookbook got me. My family gathers each Sunday evening, I love cooking and cookbooks with a story, thus I have to find this one. Thanks for highlighting it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a cookbook collector, but never say never! I always adore your gorgeous photos.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift! I have a collection of cookbooks going back as far as my Grandma's Mrs Beeton. But now not so much room to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a lucky recipient of a couple of your cookbooks... I am a cookbook addict. I just bought Extra Virgin, from the TV show and Barefoot Contessa Foolproof.. Your book sounds wonderful.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely blog you have, happy to have found you! Yes I also love cookbooks, I have too many...
    Have a great weekend,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the views of your kitchen eating area. The cookbook looks lovely. I don't bother collecting any now as I have my favourites I stick with and also use the internet some. I was given a copy of the beautiful Mennonite Girls Can Cook cookbook by one of the 'girls' last year when we visited her home. It's a beautiful book with wonderful photos, stories and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get any! Actually, I prefer to pick them myself, otherwise I end up with a book that only has one recipe I like in it....not enough shelf space. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely gift. I used to have a lot of cookbooks but I've finally gotten rid of almost all of them. I kept a cookie book that was nostalgic for our kids. Most recipes that I need I can find online. It is my practical side that got rid of the cookbooks - I still like to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No cookbooks as gifts for this Christmas, but I have my eye on the Ottolenghi books, Jerusalem and Plenty. I do love reading cookbooks with stories attached. Or stories with recipes attached.
    Sunday Suppers looks like a beautiful book to handle as well as cook from.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a project for that transplanted English woman. Travel tale. Luncheon story. Recipe and photos. Charming small book. Do you know someone who writes engagingly and travels a bit???

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great-looking cookbook! And I bet the recipes are great too. I got rid of a few cookbooks I had never used, but still have a lot. Still there are mainly three or four I always use as my standbys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cookbooks also! beautiful pictures!! I am getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Elisabeth-M-Prueitt/dp/0811851508/

    our Christmas is on the Russian calendar (Jan 7) and so it is still waiting under our tree! :)

    I have a lot of great cookbooks and do love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary,

    It seems we love a good cookbook for all of the same reasons. They should read like a novel and then become treasures. This looks like a great one. Jasmin is so sweet. You have a great collection. I try to purge but some just call out my name when I'm in a bookstore.

    I did receive Ina Garten's new "make ahead dishes" book from daughter Emily. It was comical as five minutes later she opened up the same gift from me! I also gave my daughter in law and son's fiancee cookbooks suited to them. I hope I'm not being pushy, but every gal needs a little help in the beginning. And I'm hoping to get some dinner invites! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Mary, what a thoughtful gift :o) Looks a great book too.
    As you may guess, yes I do collect cookery books and dread to think how many despite having sort-outs too!
    Sending much love as always.
    Rose H xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.