Friday, May 26, 2017

Erice, Sicily - Part I


May 7, 2017 ~ 7:00 AM Docked in Trapani, Sicily



On another clear and sunny day we awoke to find Sea Cloud, legendary windjammer
 the 'cruise ship of millionaires', had berthed next to us overnight.
  Sadly, she sailed from the harbor later under power and we didn't get to see them set
 the sails - I imagine that's a lovely sight.

The day was promising and for the morning shore excursion we'd signed up to
 visit the medieval town of Erice balanced on the mountain top above Trapani, 
the Egadi islands and famous salt pans visible in the distance.
 There was a problem with the cable car, not mechanical thankfully, just someone
 who didn't show up for work on time! We were bussed to the top around narrow
 hairpin bends - took the cable car back down later.

When it takes me two parts to post the story of a special place, you just know I
 was out there breathing in local color, history, and taking many photos to
 share with you! Erice was such a place and I loved it.

The early morning was quiet, a lovely time to wander through the winding streets.

The Gothic style Mother Church of Erice - construction began in 1312 - was 
breathtaking. I thought this the most beautiful church interior in Sicily. 
At its heart, true treasures await the visitor, 70 precious works of silver, jewelry,
 alabaster, ivory, paintings, frescoes, sculpture, coral, gold and silk embroidery from
 the 14th to 19th centuries. 
It is known as the city's museum and I could see why.










More later on this lovely morning in Erice. . . . . . castles and wildflowers, views across 
the Mediterranean, the olive farm for a most memorable Italian lunch!



11 comments:

  1. Thank you Mary for showing places I'll never get to see. Such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary, Beautiful photographs of Erice. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I am looking forward to hearing about the olive farm and lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cathedral in Erice is stunning! How unique! And to have that windjammer next to you...beautiful (even without the sails!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a wonderful eye for photos. Your blog is like a rich, glossy magazine. It's always a joy just to come here and look. I don't comment much, because I'd just keep saying the same thing over and over and bore you to distraction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That church is stunning. The attention to detail in bygone days is extraordinary. So much amazing beauty and character around you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post Mary - love what you have shown of Erice so far, and look forward to seeing part 2. The details in the ceiling and the capitals is so intricate, stylish and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous building! I wonder how they keep up these old historic places and architecture with time wearing them down. It is truly a work of art. I'm glad you had such a lovely trip. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That church is gorgeous! Erice, I would love visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That has to be one of the prettiest, most stunning stone carving work for a church I've ever seen! WOW! Those ceilings are incredible to think they are carved! the crazy thing is, whilst thinking I know medieval art pretty well, I don't think this place has ever come to my attention before. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent article! We are linking to this great article
    on our site. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.