Thursday, July 2, 2015

Brixham for freshest fish, tastiest crab. . . . . . . . .


Looking toward Brixham from Torquay.
As we crossed the bay by ferry to Brixham I looked back and saw the 
pink cottage where we were staying. Although I only had my Nikon point and shoot 
I was able to get some photos despite the great distance.
Earlier that morning, on our way to the harbor, we climbed up from the beach to the cliff path 
and walked along the top by the walls HERE in front of those houses above on the left. 

Loading the Brixham ferry at Torquay harbor.

Arriving in Brixham - cloudy skies but warm.

Brixham is famous as the town where the fishing trawler was improved 
in the19th century over the original British Dogger boats of the 17th century. 
Later the design of the elegant wooden Brixham Trawler spread across the world.

The William Prince of Orange statue - a great resting place for local gulls. This William
from the Dutch Republic became King William III of England.

Brixham's fresh crab sandwiches - the best anywhere - we always stop at the 
harbor for one of these!


Jasmin at the replica of Sir. Francis Drake's ship, the Golden Hind.
This favorite tourist attraction was actually constructed from an old fishing trawler, 
and they did a great job I must say.



We walked up and down the tiny lanes along the hillsides above the harbor 
where many of the original cottages still stand. 
I recently acquired just one photo of my paternal grandmother taken outside one 
of these cottages, but sadly don't know which one as there have been many changes 
to the facades. I know little about her as she put my father into foster care at a 
young age and he never wanted to speak of his real family.
Bob has been working online to learn more about the family - this is how we knew 
of the general area of the town where the family lived in the late 1800's to early 1900's 
(my father was born in 1900). 
Later, in Torquay, walking back along the sea road to 'our cottage' as the sun went 
down, was the perfect ending to a very busy day.

9 comments:

  1. Used to go to Torquay as a kid with my Mum & Dad so knew Brixham. Also been abseiling down the cliff there

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely area. Brixham is a real fishing village still, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sights and love, love seeing these sweet cottages. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story. I hope you can learn more. How sad for your father to be put in foster care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cornwall should hire you to boost tourism! Your photographs are amazing. I know you had a perfectly lovely time. And speaking of perfectly lovely.... that grand-daughter!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You take some wonderful shots, Mary. I really need to go back to Brixham - happy childhood memories of the harbour and Golden Hind. Mrs Britain would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your paternal grandmother must have faced some huge challenges if she then placed her son in care. Those were troubling political times. My father's parents faced difficult situations in their region too. My paternal grandmother fled to England and then to Australia, dragging her parents in tow. My father was born in 1905. Life was harsher in those times, even in Western countries. Social strata and customs deprived people of the freedom of choice we enjoy today. Sometimes when I watch TV programs about family histories I am struck by the overpowering social forces at play in days past. I am sure your father grew up in a loving home and had the life his natural mother felt she could not provide. It must have worked, because his daughter seems rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, that is such a kind thing to say. He did live with a lovely family whom I often visited as a child - they made me most welcome and always had me stop by at Christmas with Dad to pick up my present. Yes, life was so very hard for many in past generations. . . .and of course still is even today. We count our blessings every single day.

      Mary -

      Delete
  7. Hi Mary, My goodness your photos are so beautiful. I love that the homes along the water remind me so much of those in Newfoundland. Pretty coloured houses lining the shores. You are making wonderful memories with your beautiful grand-daughter. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brixham is a beautiful town Mary. I love the seaside towns, the boats in the harbour and the narrow streets of cottages. What a shame you don't know more of your grandmother's history and side of the family. The last photo is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.