Monday, October 14, 2019

Sahara Desert wanderings -


The part of the Sahara Desert we visited was quite surprising. 
It made me think of visiting Antarctica where one is 'there' but rarely gets to visit 
the actual South Pole. The Sahara is the largest hot desert, and third largest
 desert in the world after Antarctica and the Arctic. Covering 9,200,000 square
 kilometres it is comparable to the area of China or the United States.

The Sahara comprises much of North Africa, excluding the fertile region
 of the Mediterranean Sea coast, the Atlas Mountains of the Magreb, and
 the Nile Valley in Egypt and Sudan. 


From the port of Dakhla, our fleet of twenty seven 4X4 vehicles, without
 air conditioning, drove us through the city to the Lagoon area and into the
 desert for the visit to the Sahraoui Camp - a rather long, very bumpy, uncomfortable
 drive to say the least! Accompanied by serious looking armed Police in cars, 
vans and on motor cycles, we felt somewhat over-protected.


We were there in the desert but despite the sand it didn't really feel like we had
reached the true desert. It was so vast and I wished we could go further with no
 views of water and kite-surfers in the distance! 



Me with our guide Rashid.


Dancing and afternoon tea. . . . . . . .Sahara Desert style.


Tasting Saharawi Tea.

"Do not regret the passing of the camel and the caravan. 
The Sahara has changed, but it remains a desert without compromise, the world in its extreme. 
There is no place as dry and hot and hostile."
William Langewiesche - Sahara Unveiled: A Journey Across the Desert.


12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fabulous trip, experiencing a bit of the majesty of the great Sahara and the hospitality of the Bedouin/nomadic tribe people. I took photos of Bedouins in the 1960s when I visited camel races in the desert in Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, only you, a true adventurer, would feel the desire to go deeper into the desert. I would be fervently wishing that it would all be over soon or that I could go walk on the beach. You see the beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a journey! The desert must be such an unusual place to visit. Did you ride a camel??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a very well-organised excursion. It is amazing the way the desert bumps into the ocean with no green belt in between.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are living my dream. How I would have loved visiting there and having tea in the desert. How very, very wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible! I can't believe those vehicles don't have AC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must have been impressive in spite of the uncomfortable ride. As for feeling overprotected, I am sure this is necessary; they don't do that without a reason. I guess I would have felt uncomfortable knowing all that security is needed, and would have preferred staying aboard the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure you are having, dear Mary. The textiles are amazing, and I love your guide's blue turban. It sure sounds hot, and I hope you are safe in this incredible part of the world. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like an amazing trip! I am so enjoying your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary :)) The photos are awesome! Especially the camels, that's so wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these photos. No idea how my won managed to make it two years out in the middle of the Sahara where it took a whole day hitchhiking to even get to any real town with a shop! I'd die...let alone the heat! Lol

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.