Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pondside pondering. . . . . . .


In perfect October weather, in the late afternoon,
I stopped at a nearby pond. Sitting under a canopy of 
golden leaves, watching ripples in the water, I thought 
about how quickly this year is passing and wondered
 what the coming one might hold.

Edward Cucuel 1875-1954 - American-born Impressionist painter 
who lived and worked in Germany.

I love these autumnal words of Eden Phillpotts from his 
amazing book My Devon Year.

~ From orange to crimson, from amber to sea-green,
the color harmonies pass, and intermingle in
streaks and splashes and mottled jewels of all 
ruddy and golden tints that ever the sun painted ~

I have to thank my California friend Sara at her 
wonderful blog Come Away With Me for telling me about 
this book. A few years back I was able to find a copy 
online, published in 1903, complete with 38 illustrations.
Although I'm unable to see my beautiful Devon home in 
person this year, the stories in the book bring the 
memories of my favorite season closer.

The small pond near my house.


10 comments:

  1. These are all beautiful photos, Mary, but the ones of the pond reflecting the autumn colours are stunning. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pond is beautiful! I grew up on a lake in Michigan and I loved it in the fall when the colors of the leaves reflected off the water.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what being near a body of water can do for our minds and our hearts? It's just so calming. Indeed, this year has FLOWN by. I can't wait to see what next year holds for our family -- and for Richard and I, as we celebrate many "firsts" as a married couple!

    xo Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. I see you are enjoying some glorious fall color and it looks so wonderful reflected in the water. Thank you for introducing me to that painting and artist. That is truly stunning. I could gaze at it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is a good time of year to reflect on the course of the year and contemplate the next one that will unfold. And I could spend hours looking at that stunning pond scene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. October days, especially when one's birthday falls in that month, are perfect for reflections of all kinds. The turning of time does make one ponder life. The future stretches ahead, unknown, and we wonder what each of the next 365 days will hold for us and for our loved ones. I'm pondering today, too, but I'm sitting in front of a cozy fire this morning as the wind rises and leaves are tossed outside.
    Gorgeous photos, Mary, I'm sure you enjoyed your walk and thinking time by the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful painting and gorgeous photos of the pond. A perfect time to visit the pond and ponder.
    Farm Gal in SW VA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos - what a way to spend an afternoon. That is one of my favorite paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Mary
    I haven't been to visit you for awhile, so I have a nice hot cup of tea and am settled down in a comfy chair to catch up with you!i know how much you love your Devon home, so that book was a wonderful find. Rhondi xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds like a very special treasure.
    Your pond photos are magnificent! They look like
    something that should be printed and hung in a gallery.
    Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.