Sunday, February 11, 2024

When snow falls ~~~~~


In winter I like to sleep a little later but a couple of weeks back I actually set my alarm for 5:30am. Other than doing that to catch an early morning flight, it's probably something I've not done since getting up for the day's first game drive in Africa, or an early morning docking of the ship in some country in the world, the latter two happenings one doesn't want to miss.

How I miss those exciting days.

Knowing that the snow, if it had come that particular day, would be here around sunrise, then within an hour or so would turn into freezing rain and sleet for the remainder of the day, I wanted to be ready to get a few photos. I stepped out to get the newspaper, crunching through frosty grass. . . . . it was bitterly cold. The birds, mostly wrens, sparrows, cardinals and finches, were already hunting for breakfast. I spread extra seeds and nuts along the porch rail.  Over the years, many of my special bird photos have been shot from the window, the porch being a favorite place for visiting garden birds. 

The weather forecast was wrong. Not a snowflake arrived that morning........or any other time this winter so far.  





Last night, while trying to fall asleep, I found myself counting the places where I've lived in my now rather long life. Not so many compared to other ex-pats I talk with. While growing up in England I lived at three addresses in the same town from birth until moving to the USA just prior to my nineteenth birthday. That move was to be for just one year - a working visit with no plans to actually emigrate. That's what happens when a special someone comes into your life and changes your plans, your outlook, your entire future.  No regrets though. In sixty one years here I've only lived in four places. Washington D.C., New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and North Carolina. This last address has been my home for over forty seven years.  

My first American winter in Washington was a very cold one, especially when temperatures plummeted around Christmas. Not only did I see snow, I learned to ice skate - well stand up and take a few gliding steps - on the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.  Frozen solid and not exactly smooth ice for a beginner, I fell down a lot!  

On moving to the New England states, winter was all about snowfalls. Mostly deep and never-ending for several months. Nor'easter storms often caused crippling blizzards. Plowed snow piled up in dirty grey heaps until the next fall made it look lovely again. I skated a little on outdoor ponds and a couple of indoor rinks, never becoming proficient, but loved to go to holiday ice shows, such as the Ice Capades in Boston. I also viewed a couple of Bruins ice hockey games, shivering and miserable in the cold of the now demolished Boston Garden, and anxious for all to be over.  

Raleigh is in the southeast and has a great climate...........most of the time!  Rather too hot, and definitely far too humid for this Brit in the height of summertime. Spring is beautiful, Autumn even better. Winter can be fickle. Yesterday when writing this, the afternoon was almost hot at 72F and the sun brilliant. Dog walkers passed wearing shorts, Bob was sunburned a little on his head after spending time in the garden without a hat!  I changed from a cozy sweater into a thin one while making vegetable soup over the hot stove! This morning it's cool again. Rain is pouring down This current season brought sufficient rain in January but apparently we'll get plenty more over the next few days.

We still haven't seen a single snowflake! I doubt we will.


23 comments:

  1. Dearest Mary,
    Well, one thing is sure that I'd rather live here in the South East then back in Pennsylvania...
    Winter is not my favorite with ice and snow!
    LOVE your expert bird pictures and we both enjoy viewing them from our bay window area. The Japanese Magnolias are more and more opening but not yet all.
    Besides, on a rainy day it is impossible to take any decent photos...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want a dusting really! To wake and see the garden birds in the fig tree on snow-covered branches, fighting for a spot on the feeders, scuffling around on the snow-covered ground - just a few hours one morning would be perfect!
      I agree dear friend, couldn't, wouldn't live 'up north' now - at least not in the winter months. Feel the cold more now - and this winter has not been my best healthwise so I'm ready for spring!
      Hope you are doing well xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Mary. I am waiting for a snowflake, too, but being just north of you, guess we won't get any. But, we can always hope, can't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, never give up, and these days I'm finding hope is important!

      Delete
  3. All we have had here is a dusting, while the North of England has had heavy snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you must be glad you don't have to clear away snow dear - I've seen a lot farther north in the UK on the news.

      Delete
  4. I share your same longing for a bit of snow each winter, Mary. We did have some earlier on, but I wouldn't mind another dusting. Our winter has been unseasonably warm, for the most part, so I doubt we'll get any more. Your bird photos are stunning, truly works of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorrie - I know you enjoy birds and all of nature.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! Something different in light of February! You are lucky to have lived in different places! It really is magical to wake up this morning and see everything differently! Kiss from GREECE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall mornings in beautiful Greece - hope to visit again some day. Thanks Katerina.

      Delete
  6. As always, your bird shots are brilliant!
    We've had very little snow in my area this winter, but I dare not yet put away winter coats etc. since we can never really say it's over until mid-April at least - although such late snow falls have become rarer and rarer over the last 20 years or so.

    Like you, in my home town I have not moved much; from the small terraced house where my family moved to shortly before my sixth birthday in 1974, then on to the top floor of a newly built house in 1988 for a bit more than a year before I found my first own (rented) flat in a suburb, followed five years later by a second rented flat in the same suburb before my husband and I found the flat I have bought and where I have been living since October 2003, back in "my" old quarter of town.
    When I was born, my parents lived in a village just big enough to call itself town just outside our hometown. From there, they moved to a real farming village further south, where we rented the top floor in a then newly built house (1971). After only two years there, my Dad took on a new job and the family moved to a another farming village close to the Rhine, near the French border, again renting a newly built place. Last but not least, we moved back to Ludwigsburg and into the aforementioned terraced house in February 1974.
    I have just realised that this month marks 50 years of uninterrupted living in Ludwigsburg for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike you, and your family, certainly must know every twist and turn of Ludwigsburg - and it looks like such a lovely place I don't blame you for staying there most of your life!

      Delete
  7. No snow here either Mary, but your bird photos are always a great delight to see,
    The weather is nothing like it was when we were children. Out came the scarves, hats and gloves for Bonfire Night which were then worn until the end of March.
    Today the morning sun is beaming through the window as I write, but it doesn't resemble a February day of old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winter has been quite mild this time around. I still hope for a dusting of snow though - and we have had that happen in Feb. - so never say never! I haven't worn gloves at all and maybe a hat just a couple of times. Looking at all my coats hanging up I realize now I have too many for this climate - but I do love them!

      Delete
  8. Winter weather can be so fickle. I kind of hope we get one light, gentle snow before spring is officially here. But no ice, please!!! I always, always love your bird pictures. It is hard to imagine a sunburned head at this time of year; though I do like wearing a hat with a bill at this time of year when I am outside. The bill keeps what sun there is out of the eyes. Stay cozy and hoping you are feeling better these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sat on the porch with Earl Grey and biscuits a couple of afternoons back - it was HOT! Rain yesterday but gentle and needed, this morning beautiful sunshine and the birds are singing and busy eating. As you say, fickle Feb. weather for sure.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy your bird photos, Mary. The detail you capture is just amazing!
    I'll be very surprised if we see any snow this winter, although I know there is still a chance.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - I appreciated your comment on my birdie pix - they are such gentle little souls bringing joy to our North Carolina gardens aren't they.

      Delete
  10. Darling little birds, your photos are adorable Mary. I enjoyed reading a bit about your life. We have a mixed bag of weather. Mild and pleasant to today but our walks are muddy :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly - the birds have always been a big part of my life wherever I go. I fed them in Devon as a child and have continued wherever I've lived I guess. The most amazing though have been in Africa, and of course my favorites - the penguins in Antarctica!!!!!
      Enjoy those muddy walks this weekend - hope the sun shines on you.

      Delete
  11. That is what you call dedication to your photography Mary ! ...... and what special photographs they are. So beautiful. With our new conservatory, I can see out into the garden much better .... we don't have the variety of birds that you have but many of the little chaps come and visit our garden. I think they like our garden as there is a lot of things for them to eat. We usually get some snow in February but, nothing as yet and it's quite mild. I have just been in the garden this morning ..... I moved three purple clematis as I want to plant white ones !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie dear - thanks for stopping by and glad you enjoy "my birds". Birdsong is picking up in the garden on these warmer days - some trees and shrubs are leafing out so nest building will start soon perhaps.
      Good luck with the new clematis - white ones are so beautiful.......well all colors are of course!
      Hugs to you both - think of you often.

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.