Monday, April 22, 2024

Earth Day 2024 ~



 



I've never had luck growing beautiful hellebores in my garden, or delphiniums, lupins, euphorbia, Japanese anemones . . . . .  and many more plants I recall were easy peasy to grow in my childhood home in Devon, England. My mother, among so many other creative jobs and hobbies, also had a green thumb and worked wonders in our small gardens in front and back of the bunglalow. People passing by on foot, which most did back in those days before everyone sailed by on wheels, stopped and admired our front garden. Around the small lawn were beds of mixed shrubs, some evergreen others flowering, including fuchsia, always a favorite. A fragrant lilac was tucked in a corner, pyracantha espaliered up a wall below a bedroom window. Perennials such as peonies and dahilas were so abundant they would take your breathe away. A boxwood hedge, trimmed to around four feet surrounded everything. Our soil was rich, our rain came often, and we never needed a garden hose for watering. 

I don't recall people celebrating "Earth Day" as being a named day back then. Every day was a day when we acknowledged our beautiful planet. Continents, countries, oceans, mountains, deserts, landscapes. . . . . . . . everything, everywhere, it was earth and we were grateful for everything it provided. Having seen a lot of this planet during visits to all seven continents, I have wonderful memories of special places. . . . . and hopefully will see even more!




Okavango Delta - Botswana 2010


Maasai Mara - Kenya 2016


Chilean Fjords - 2018


Enjoy the day celebrating our planet EARTH - let us all do our best to save it and keep it beautiful.


8 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Mary! I bet your mom would be proud of your gardens...look at all the beautiful things you can grow here! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was my garden buddy as a child and taught me so much about growing and tending our English garden.
      Thank you for saying that dear.

      Delete
  2. Your words are beautiful, Mary, and chime in perfectly with the wonderful photos. Your mother's garden sounds amazing. Different climates grow other beauties. Earth Day is indeed everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are so right Lorrie, the climates are responsible for what does and doesn't grow. Guess the only place I've visited with nothing at all growing was of course Antarctica - but it was still awesome scenery in a different way!

      Delete
  3. Hello Mary, my Mum loves Fuchsia, too! She usually had some in the hanging pots on our balcony, and explicitly forbade us to "click" them open (we just loved the popping sound and of course still did it when she wasn't watching).

    My part of saving the planet consists mainly in not having a car but using my own two feet and public transport for 99 % of my "A to B". But I know that's not possible everywhere, or for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! How different the real old English cottage gardens were. Who has time to stop and stare nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our lovely earth needs a lot of love right now!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to imagine your mother's garden from your descriptions. And your travel pictures always are so special. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.