Thursday, January 4, 2024

Paintbrushes and Words -


For the past few years I've become addicted to the work of British artist-poet Gary Bunt.

It's hard to describe his huge body of work, however I do know that his paintings bring my homeland to me in ways that take my breath away, often bring tears to my eyes, but more often giggles, or an all out guffaw because of his sense of humor! For an artist to do all this with strokes of a brush, and to do it so often, is just wonderful.

His paintings, simple and true as they may be, cover not only land and seascapes around the United Kingdom, but everyday happenings both inside a typical British house, outside in the ubiquitous vegetable garden, sauntering across the beautiful countryside through the changing seasons, on road trips, picnics, boat rides, even just walking to the village shops.
He adds titles and brief poems which, even if you are not very familiar with British lifestyles, family traditions, country/town life etc., may still hit the nail on the head and immediately you can feel, as well as see, just what Gary was thinking at that moment and depicted with his brush strokes. His people are fantastic, shaped and posed so perfectly in action for each situation in the painting, that they need very little detail to tell the entire story. You fall in love with them as they look over their garden wall or sit out in the middle of a patchwork field.

According to Gary, the 'old man', who has made many appearances on his canvases, is himself. There are many animals in his paintings, especially dogs which, as you may know, are often just as important as people living in those little houses, walking through the rain-splashed lanes, over the hills and dales, and along often desolate beaches on a blustery winter day. Solid mutts, well-behaved as British dogs always seem to be 

Gary's art makes me happy. Makes me smile. Brings back so much of my country/seaside childhood in England.  Thank you Gary.

Here are links: the YouTube documentary is awesome - I watch it often as it showcases not only the story of Gary's life, it brings calming thoughts and beautiful art to mine.

YouTube - Gary Bunt Painter and Poet
Instagram: gary.bunt
www.garybuntart.com




Just a small sample of the amazing stories told in Gary Bunt's paintings.




17 comments:

  1. Dear Mary, Wishing you and Bob a New Year of Health and Happiness. It's very cold here but no snow. Most of the pond is frozen over except for the Spring. And that is where hundreds of ducks and geese have congregated. I would love to know what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to this artist.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary Bunt is a new artist to me, and thank you for highlighting his work here. The last one made me smile. Two elderly folk on an outing with their dog. Enjoying simple pleasures. Homely and down-to-earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadnt heard of this artist, but I can see why he is popular. Simple and meaningful paintings. I love the one of the man in the snow, you can see how hard he is finding the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how nice. Thank you very much, I have looked at more of his pictures on the Internet and I will also watch the YouTube documentation later.
    Very beautiful art, wonderful images.
    A happy greeting to you from Viola.
    Have a happy 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary Bunt is definitely a name I shall be checking out, probably will be watching the youtube documentary you mention today for my lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His paintings are poetic. They will leave us deep impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an English woman, I embarrassingly confess that I've never heard of Gary Bunt and I don't think I've ever seen his paintings { I might have done and not known it !!! }They are so charming, naive, innocent and, as you say Mary, show everyday life in the UK. I love them and shall follow your link and find out more about him ..... many thanks for the heads up. Thinking of you both and sending love from a chilly and very, very wet UK. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Mary! I have not heard of this artist, I am going to look him up. I hope that you are feeling better.
    Elizabeth@pineonesandacorns

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary, I wish you a Happy New Year! I never heard of Gary Bunt before - I can imagine his charming paintings as illustrations for children's book too - very lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. His paintings are gorgeous. They really do tell a story, very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes! His art is amazing! I can definitely see why you would like it. There is a bit of whimsy too, which I enjoy in art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, that was me, Marilyn M

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will have to check out his work. I have never heard of him. Thanks for telling us about him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s always fascinating to discover an artist who you seem to resonate with. I hope you always find pleasure in his works. Have you any of his pieces or prints? I received your sweet little snowman card- and how fitting right now! I have tried to email you but I’m not sure if it’s your current address. Please email me when you get a chance ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry but don't know who this is! Please write again if possible and share your name so I can reply.
      Happy New Year.
      Mary -

      Delete
  16. The paintings are magical. I love them. Thanks for sharing! I will look for him on Instagram for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.