Wednesday, December 27, 2023

End of the year that was..............

 


Why are there unwrapped packages and still to be pulled Christmas crackers lurking on December 27th?  People are fighting health issues big time this year.  Sometimes big holidays just don't work out as planned. This time of year the northern hemisphere is rife with respiratory illnesses. Old style colds, beginning of the influenza season, more variants of COVID, and this year, a myriad of nameless upper respiratory viruses knocking us over and flattening us like rows of falling domino tiles!  

Personally I have coughed my way through the past four weeks. Still am. Have run a low grade fever - something I don't recall since childhood - had no appetite, and have lost weight. Getting ready for the holidays was not fun as I was exhausted every waking hour despite sleeping quite well at night.

Next week we have our initial visits with a new to us medical practice. Our Primary Care Physician shocked us in November with news she had decided to retire early. She has cared for us for almost 25 years and closes her practice this week. It's not easy to find a physician who welcomes geriatric patients. At this new practice will will be seen by a physician assistant or nurse practitioner as the actual practice MD is not taking new patients. We'll give it a try in hopes we'll be welcomed and treated kindly.  We're both trying to remain positive about the whole experience. Fortunately the location is a new medical building just a few minutes drive from home.




The weather is dreary today. Thick fog envelopes the now mostly brown and beige garden. The feeders are empty again so birds are few. Squirrels are active and a few days back there was a young deer in the garden.  We have some errands to run later and will buy birdseed and a few more odd and ends.

I'll then be packing away Christmas decor later in the week and readying for a quiet, stay-at-home New Year's Eve, popping the bubbly cork and nibbling on the Christmas leftovers!  Life goes on - may your days be happy and healthy and the coming year be a good one.



13 comments:

  1. And wishing you and yours a healthy and peaceful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear you're still sick. Thank goodness, everyone in our family was healthy this year - as far as illnesses. Except now my aunt is in the hospital with a bowel obstruction and my uncle is in the hospital with a systemic infection in his body from a cut on his arm (he's in very poor health as it is with heart problems, diabetes and cancer). My mom isn't in the hospital, but she's been suffering terribly with sciatica for months and has tried literally everything and anything, with no relief. Aging sure reminds us how frail our bodies become and that we should be grateful for the good days. Here's hoping you are back to good health soon and that you like your new medical practice. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary,
    I am so sorry to read of your continued respiratory issues. The viruses seem to hitting people very hard this season. And not having a familiar doctor can be unsettling as well.
    I'll leave up the Christmas decor for a few days more and we're enjoying the quiet of our home after lots of activity and fun with the family. No snow here, rather bleak days with lots of cloud cover and a bit of rain. Good for indoor activities like puzzles and reading, although we take an outdoor walk every day, too.
    I wish a most Happy and Healthy New Year to you and Bob. Love, Lorrie and Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I do sympathise. These viruses are so very lowering. I am, like you, still coughing after nearly three weeks. So looking forward to Spring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Mary,
    Our primary care doctor is in his practice for 18 years and his predecessor was our previous primary care doctor. Doing so he is the sole medical doctor not working together with others! We'll see how that will go in the near future. Seeing a NP is not the same...
    We too opt for a quiet ending of 2023. The yard crew came this morning and the water company people put planks next to the driveway opening that got cut out on Friday, December 15 and left like that over the weekend. Only on Monday they began digging and messing up our yard in order to fix the main leak. Tuesday that got done, over a week ago.
    There is always something not planned for!
    Our Christmas was therefore a messy and muddy looking one...
    We try to enjoy the final days and relax here at home.
    The good thing is that this is my 5th pain free day—there seems to be hope.
    Hugs and best wishes to you and Bob for a relaxed New Year's Eve and a Happy & Healthy 2024!
    Pieter & Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you and Bob a healthier year with your former energy returning soon! Hopefully, the new medical practice will turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mary, so sorry you have been unwell and hope that you will recover to enjoy New Year celebrations. Your home looks so beautiful, the decorations look so welcoming and festive, I love to see how others make their homes special at Christmas, yours has such lovely attention to detail and expect you found it quite tiring to do all that whilst feeling so low. May your spirits be lifted. Get well soon. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary .... this time of year is rife with viruses .... I do hope yours clears up soon and that your new clinic is helpful and works out. My sister had something called the 100 day cough ! I'd never heard of it but she said it was talked about in the media. I think I get a bit bah humbug at this time between Christmas and New Year and want everything back to normal ! At least t's not too long until Spring will be here and we will see those lovely new bright green shoots emerging and can get out and do a bit of gardening. Look after yourselves, both of you and take it easy. Sending much love from the UK. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I've never met my "primary care doctor" and only see her Nurse Practitioner who I happen to just love. My NP takes more time with me and doesn't ever make me feel rushed. Hope you get along with your NP too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I hope the new doctor works out for you. I am in the process of looking for a new dentist and hoping they will take me with my medicare insurance. Hope and pray you feel better soon and your cough and fever go far, far away. Take care, dear ones. Have a good New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! again I forgot to say who I was. I don't like these Anonymous posts, sorry!!!! Marilyn M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Mary, so sorry to read you have been unwell for a long time. The many viruses seem to be sweeping the planet: Australia is in the same situation, with flu type illnesses everywhere, despite being in Summer heat (38c today). Our little grand-twins have been sick for weeks, so sad. Your presents and crackers look so pretty, very festive, and I love the deer plate. Already it is time to start packing up Christmas, one day at a time for me. Wishing you a very Happy and Healthy New Year for 2024. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Mary, I found your beautiful blog via your comment on Weaver of Grass. I am a transplanted Brit also, in British Columbia. We seem to have much in common including enjoying golden syrup on yorkshire pudding. I do hope you are feeling better. I struggled with Christmas this year due to ill health so yet another thing in common.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.