Friday, March 11, 2022

A good cuppa and this week's bird notes -

 



This week I discovered a package of loose Darjeeling tea in the far
 reaches of my armoire. As I haven't been to England to shop in Harrods
 (or their Heathrow Airport shop) I must have bought this tea at least three
 years ago, the last time I was able to travel to the UK. Actually the Best By 
date was 2020 which is now part of the more serious early COVID history
 days and months. Anyway, I opened it one afternoon and having been
 stored double sealed, in a dark place, it tasted just fine.
While sipping tea I tried to wipe sad thoughts of another week of
 war - yes that's what it is - and the devastation of Ukraine and its
 innocents seen each day on the TV or computer screen.
 
I also thought about each of you who sent kind words to Bob and 
myself in regard to our health blips, which are quite insignificant 
compared to what so many men, women and children are facing
 in Ukraine. We thank you so much and are managing well.

I haven't strayed far from the comfort of home this week.
Things were somewhat off kilter, with expected visitors unable to 
make it - but at least the house got a little much-needed extra
 dusting and titivating. 
More low-sodium recipes were pulled together which meant a lot 
of healthy veggie chopping, but we ate less, and drank nothing
 stronger than water! This afternoon I'm trying my hand at a fish
 stew with haddock, salmon and clams - will get back later to
 share the results.



Last but not least, I picked up the framed birds from Hobby Lobby.
I'm thrilled with how they look and the entire job was done so well.
Currently hanging in the bedroom, I'm considering moving it to the
 lower stairwell later.
Below is a close up of the antiqued wood frame I chose as I 
thought it perfect with the 1927 trade cards which are 
showing some age.

 

The weekend is upon us and it will be a very cold one - a fire on our hearth
the next few nights. Many of you here in the east are in the path of even more
 severe weather with a possibility of more snow - definitely not springtime yet!
Take care and stay safe.


11 comments:

  1. Glad your health sounds to be imptoving both of you. Also I am admiring the bird prints and especially the appropriate frames. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tea sounds wonderful. Glad to hear you and Bob are managing well. Stay warm! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birds look lovely in their new home, Mary! I've just caught up with your recent news about dear Bob and hope all is well in that department. I had to look up DASH plan as I'd never heard of it but I can't imagine you won't be able to construct delicious food with your creative spirit - not to mention with the aid of your many new cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow stewing is a very satisfying way of cooking old, cheap or left over pieces of food in one pot. My mother used to put the pot in a low oven on Friday after work, to be eaten by the entire family for Saturday lunch. Perfect!

    I look forward to your report on fish stew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both Brian and I love all kind of different teas. I'm mostly into greens and herbals; Brian's favorite is Earl Grey. I've found some interesting blends both at HomeGoods and TJ Maxx. I picked up a green jasmine pear from Australia the other day at HG.

    Your framed bird print is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tea was a nice surprise find!
    The framed bird prints look as beautiful as I imagined.
    Sorry to read that your visitors couldn‘t make it.
    Weather-wise, we have entered a period of mild, largely sunny weather; everything is just waiting to burst into bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The arrangement of the birds is very pretty, Mary!
    And I am glad to hear that both of you are better in health now.
    I wish you a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those birds! I just love green tea, thats my cup of tea :)
    Have a beautiful Saturday and take care...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  9. The framing of the bird pictures was the perfect choice!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the framed birds look fabulous!

    Wracking my brain to think if I have had Darjeeling, I think I haven't! I need to get around to that!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.