Friday, January 27, 2023

This was me!

 

To celebrate CUNARD'S centennial, their SEA VIEWS exhibition will be available in late February. World-renowned photographer and filmmaker Mary McCartney (Sir Paul's daughter) will curate a collection of 100 photographs taken from the company's 14,000 images archived in Liverpool, England . . . . . and include never before seen treasured photographs from former sea going guests. Anyone who has traveled on board a Cunard ship can submit digital photos - but you only have until February 5, 2023 so get going if you want to join in. Being a Cunard customer, I received their email just a couple of days ago.

Today, I pulled this one out of an old, dusty storage box and have sent it in with the requested short story of when and where etc., and the requested smidgen of personal info. They immediately sent a thank you and said I will be informed if my photo is used - which I doubt will ever happen. 

I have plenty of later photos taken when I've sailed to far away places on Cunard's ships, in lovely color, wearing casual shipboard clothes, eating, drinking, lounging around in deck chairs, sparkling swimming pools in the background, laughing with hubby and close friends. But then there's this one of me in 1964. Somewhat somber perhaps. I'd just turned 21 and was in the lounge of the first Queen Mary (docked in Long Beach, California since 1967), sailing home alone to England for Christmas, spending the evening with other shipboard guests. I'm sad to see I was smoking back then but gave that up later. My teased 'bob' was the hairstyle of the day thanks to popular English singer Cilla Black, and my dress was a lovely soft black wool with a ruffled neck and low V-back (wish I still had it!). Hemlines had climbed but this was not a mini-skirt, and we still wore sheer pantyhose. This photo brings back many memories of my life back then. It was my first visit home since leaving in 1962 and for some reason I decided to go by ship, a new adventure for a girl who had grown up at the seaside but not done much boating. Since then, I've always loved traveling by sea which has enabled me to see some amazing places which would otherwise have been inaccessible.




Above ~ my treasured photo sent to Cunard.






29 comments:

  1. You look like a movie star! Very pretty girl, for sure. Hope that they include it because it tells so much about the times and the decor of the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Vee. The ship wasn't really gorgeous by then - was taken out of commission just a couple of years after I sailed on her. But my how wonderful she was in her younger days during WW2, transporting 810,000 men home, and being a hospital for all those injured servicemen!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    How precious that is and what a stunning beauty you were!
    It is so hard to comprehend how FAST those years pass...
    But photos is one of the best things.
    Did email you a picture of me from October 11, 1967 and with a similar bob.
    That is also a fun fact to see those waves of fashion, hair styles, type of shoes etc., over the decennia.
    Only Pieter has been by boat, ferry, to the England and also to Denmark and Norway. I've never been out on the sea.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, but thanks. I wish you had sailed somewhere with Pieter, I think you would have enjoyed it - especially the peacefulness out on the waves - well when it's calm I guess! Rough seas can be challenging!!!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful era that was, 1964-69. the clothes, hairdos, holidays, music, political activism etc. Oh the freedoms... oh the potential for change. When Cunard gets their Sea Views exhibition up and running, I hope they remember the middle and late 1960s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hels, I hope they do too. Their newer ships have always been enjoyable for us and have shown us much of the world.

      Delete
  4. How gorgeous and glamorous you look with your black dress and stylish bob. Crossing the Atlantic by boat sounds like a wonderful adventure. I hope Cunard uses your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were to curate those 100 pictures, yours would definitely be in it! You look fabulous, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike - that's such a nice comment.

      Delete
  6. A word I don't normally use, but WOW Mary you look fabulous. I remember those bouffant hair styles so well along with those little plastic spray bottles of lacquer to keep it all looking good. May be you are wearing a pair of those lovely soft pearly leather 'winkle picker' shoes which probably did our feet no favours.
    It would be great if they did include your photo in the exhibition - is it being held in Liverpool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, and yes I did wear 'winkle pickers' in the '60's - my favorite pair were black patent leather with beautiful long toes, medium heels, and a strap across the instep, purchased at Russell & Bromley's, but don't recall them ever becoming popular over here. In 1962 people here looked at my feet with puzzlement, I had to explain they were so very British and that even guys there wore them with 'flared trousers' and Beatles haircuts back home!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I always try, getting a bit harder these days, haha!!!

      Delete
  8. How lovely you look in this very special photo Mary. I am sure they will want to use it. You look like all the stars of that time. I also tried that hairstyle back then, as we did, and always wanted to look like Mary Quant! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Mary Quant was fabulous - mini skirts, over the knee boots, and of course Vidal Sassoon blunt bob and asymmetric (I tried both) hairstyles which we all loved!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing with us your pictures, greetings

    ReplyDelete

  10. dear Mary, Beautiful then and beautiful today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Gina - and as we've met in person I can say the exact same thing about you dear. I miss you and want us to catch up some day X

      Delete
  11. I hope your beautiful photo gets chosen. What a wonderful experience sailing home - I have never traveled on a ship before. Thanks for sharing your lovely photo as well as your memories. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie - perhaps you can try a shipboard voyage some day, you may really enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. Oh, what a glamour puss, dear Mary!! Then and now! The absolute height of chic, and I agree, wouldn't your dress be fabulous now, too? I do hope your photo gets picked up for the Cunard exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind - and BTW, that guy was a millionaire Australian sheep farmer! Wonder if he's still around.
      My brother is down your way right now Pip - 6 weeks holiday covering a lot of territory. First stop Perth and the Margaret River wineries.

      Delete
  13. Dear Mary, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
    The photo is a very good choice - I love your hair and the dress. You look very French. Elegant and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my best in those younger years Britta - always loved fashion, still do!

      Delete
  14. Mary, what a wonderful photo of you! Just gorgeous! You are always gorgeous, then and now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sherri, you are so kind to say that. It's so long since we met up, I'm definitely looking/feeling older these days but still doing the best I can, haha! How's everything going?

      Delete
  15. You look like a fashion model. Beautiful! What a great photo. Marilyn M.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.