Thursday, April 13, 2023

Garden Questions?????


“As the seconds of our lives tick away,

you have to realize

that life needs

to be

an adventure.”


No, I'm not back in Sicily where I took these photos, but would love to visit there again some day! Your garden may not seem like an adventure in distance as it's right outside the door. . . . . . .but it can be, and trying new plants might be part of the vision, especially in springtime.

Has anyone tried to grow this giant Mediterranean fennel (Ferula communis), common name Giant fennel or Meeting Seed? It was spectacular on the Sicilian hillsides. I've never seen it growing here in the US but perhaps it does in the UK so you wonderful British gardeners may know of it. I know it can grow very tall, looks quite stunning and is so bright in the landscape.

DESCRIPTION

This superb and spectacular giant from the Mediterranean has dark green leaves, divided many times into delicate, feathery segments. The enormous flower-heads contain countless tiny, bright yellow flowers in early summer. It makes an enormous hardy tuber in time, and can make a spectacular addition to a wild garden, border, shrubbery or on a pool margin.



OK, what happened to my beautiful yellow/pink Peace rose?  For many years this rose bush has grown and bloomed in the front porch bed, with lovely healthy green leaves and many flowers often lasting until Autumn. Sadly it has now disappeared and in its place has appeared a common red Knock Out.....yes that rose seen everywhere these days! Could my Peace have been propagated by grafting onto one of those easy to grow roses? Will I never see another yellow flower?  



This morning, a view of the now blooming red rose.



Have a good day. I'm sowing seeds, including Mammoth Russian 
sunflowers - will be interesting to see if they survive hungry
 deer and squirrels this year! 
All part of the adventure, haha!!!

10 comments:

  1. The tall fennel, which I have never seen in Australia, really does look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    Sadly we lost ALL of our fragrant roses—quite a collection we had and also some pretty yellow ones. Guess the competition from the trees or maybe they even emit some bad things from their roots that kills off others...
    We only have the photos and memories and that is sweet in itself.
    Good luck with your seeding.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several climbing roses on the back fence which have lasted for years - they are just starting to bloom. It's always sad to lose a plant after one has given it TLC for years. Nature is fickle as I often say.
      Seeds are hiding in pots in the gazebo today---------it's pouring rain and thunderstorm due all day.

      Delete
  3. The giant fennel may need warmer and dryer climate to thrive than the British isles usually provide, but I am no expert on the matter. What I wonder, though, is whether it is edible. I love fennel in a salad or fried or oven-baked!
    It's a pity about your peace rose, and strange how it disappeared - it's not that it has feet and could walk away :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be correct Meike - but the smaller fennels must grow there as a friend already emailed saying she grows bronze fennel in Cornwall. I don't know if that huge one is edible but certainly looked awesome growing in Sicily. I too love adding fennel bulb to certain recipes, it's anise flavor is so good.

      Delete
  4. Hello Mary, Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by. I opened your blog, which looks most interesting, and will read more. You are in Turkey correct? We have visited Istanbul and it is actually my husband's favorite city! I loved it too of course.
    Mary in North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing fennel. I would love that in my garden. We do have a Peace rose, but our roses won't bloom for another month.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.