Friday, April 21, 2023

Time for linen and gardens -




Officially it's not Summertime quite yet, but it certainly feels
 like it here with temps in the high 80's all week.  
It's an excuse for a brief 'fashion post' which I haven't done in some time.

My wardrobe changeover is underway!  
My heavy sweaters, coats, jackets are gradually being cleaned/washed
and stored away. . . . . . . and the linens are hanging in the closet.




I've purchased a new, slightly loose cut - the style this year - cream
 linen blend blazer/jacket. Very comfortable, doesn't wrinkle too much, 
and I wore it out to lunch on Wednesday over a tan/cream striped tee
and khaki loose cut cropped trousers. 
I love neutrals and stripes in case you don't know!

I also pulled out a pair of sandals and so enjoyed airing my
 toes after months of socks and boots!





Haven't worn a straw hat yet but have a couple at the ready for
bright sunny days, especially when gardening . . . . . . which
I'm busy doing a lot of lately.


This week the ancient John Cabot Canadian rose has gone a little
 berserk and is clambering up the arbor to twirl with the trumpet vine. 
Pink with orange was not planned but actually looks very colorful.  
Let's face it, anything blooming in a garden is a gift, all colors are
 lovely with a green background!



I've planted several large pots of herb seeds, also little peat pots
of hollyhock seeds which I hope will germinate and grow 
where planted later.  


This week I also shopped for the annual hanging Boston ferns
for the front porch. I don't buy the largest as they grow fast and
 soon fill out with a little TLC. 
Already I'm gently shooing away the finches - as soon as they see 
a fern swaying in the breeze they think of building a nest. We
 allowed that to happen some years but they are such messy
 little birds and we'd prefer they move in elsewhere, away from
 where we often sit outside!
Feeding and watering the birds keep us busy enough! We don't
want to be grandparents to their offspring - especially since 
the scary visit a few years back when the five foot long
 fat black snake came to the porch looking for finch eggs in the
 baskets. . . . . . and scared me half to death as it slithered silently
 across the wicker chairs where I was sitting!!! Despite not being a
 venomous snake I still never want to see one that close again.
I'm shaking just writing about it!

The weekend weather here will be mixed - full sun and a high of
 84F today, with rain tomorrow and then back to sunshine and a little
 cooler on Sunday.

Enjoy your weekend.

19 comments:

  1. Your gardens and baskets are looking wonderful! Enjoy the nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. Cooling off a bit later as rain on the way for afternoon and evening, something we've had for 7 consecutive Saturdays!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! I don't blame you! Those finches have plenty of places to build their nests. Everything looks marvelous there! I like the pink and orange combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, my post today gives an interesting update on the arbor.........and naughty birds!

      Delete
  3. Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow ~ beautifully as always! Update: No relocation just yet to NC. Real estate market, inflation the deciding factors. I could sell our home here, no guarantee I could find what we need there .. and homes are going for way over the asking price. So, we will stay put until things settle down and there are so many factors impacting that. My son, who is renting right now is house hunting in Winston Salem. He found one he loved, made an offer and was outbid. He has a great agent, I believe it will happen when it is meant to. Stay well and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where you're coming from Helen regarding housing costs here, especially Raleigh! My Midtown neighborhood, the city's 'hot spot', is so pricey now. The most recent sale of a new home was a bargain at 4.7 million dollars - when the asking price was 5 million!!!!! All new builds are now over 2 million - huge houses on our smallish lots which people/builders beg to purchase daily. Hope you and your son can find a suitable place soon - know you will love living in NC.
      Hugs - Mary

      Delete
  4. Dearest Mary,
    Love the way you write 'airing my toes'—would love to do that as well but I've been so reluctant for wearing anything not as supportive for me feet. God forbid that I twist my ankle or trip or whatever... But for my OT + PT I've been wearing a cotton long sleeved sweat shirt mostly or a sweater and shorts as they have to apply the heat pad and the ice pack with transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)... Graduated from that and still sore from yesterday's session!
    Still wearing my light woolen things as I'm not yet feeling 'warm' enough. Need to gain some weight and strength first I guess!
    Your roses are magazine worthy! Oh, our Eastern Phoebe left the nest this morning! Our front porch residents and they raised 4 babies in last year's nest.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nor sure I've ever had an Eastern Phoebe here Mariette - I need to check the grey/brown birds of which there are so many!
      Do be really careful as you continue to heal and get about more!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I really love your new linen blazer Mary. You will find it so useful and it will add polish to any outfit. It really is quite hot at your place, in the 80s, and the flowers are loving it. I think the pink and orange look very happy together, and the arbor looks quite festive for Spring. Very soon I will be 'over there' to join the Spring wonderland :) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update on the arbor happenings in today's post if you have time to look Trish. It's going to rain today and cool off a bit
      which is fine with me. Are you coming to Canada soon? So happy for you and the family as I know it's been a while!

      Delete
  6. The garden certainly seems to be thriving in the warm weather. A very cool 53 F here today with a chill NE wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, my garden became a huge hobby when I was much younger - have to admit it's harder now to keep it up but doing my best because it's still a joy to look at.

      Delete
  7. We're in for the warmest day of the year so far, topping (probably not in my city) at 24 Celsius. It will then get cooler again next week, but that's alright - I'll be working anyway, with not much chance for walks.
    But I am determined to make the most of this weekend and plan to wear the new dark grey and bright yellow t-shirt my Mum gave me for my birthday.
    Your garden looks as lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your Mum found a great tee for you - I know you like yellow Meike!
      Thank for the garden 'like' - there's a follow-up arbor post today with a surprise!

      Delete
  8. Spring can be so elegant, once we take our linens out of the cupboard and dust off the lightweight hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three hats from Australia Hels!!!!!

      Delete
  9. Loved your ost Mary. It is a very wet day here in the Yorkshire Dales - in the middle of the afternoon the sun is trying to break through. My daffodils are
    still in bloom and some not yet out - same goes for tulipsrose just showing signs of starting to grow - fed it this week (Gloire de Vivre - wonderful last year)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat dear - hope it warms more in your area soon - our daffs are over and my only tulips now are from LIDL, grown in New Jersey! Your tulips - double blooms I believe - must look so glorious.
      Take care and enjoy the spring days.

      Delete
  10. Heading to CA. this week where I will see the sun. I did find the black striped tee, but sure would have loved the tan one too. I do love your style and your roses too.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.