Thursday, November 16, 2023

'House Proud' -





My Mother trained me young...........to keep a clean, organized and picked up house. She always worked outside the home but you could, as the old saying goes, "eat off her floors." She was a perfectionist. A hard worker, competent in everything she put her hand to. Sunday was our cleaning day. It was often the only day off from her job. She didn't rest, relax or crawl under the covers recovering from an exhausting week. She was up with the sun, the larks, or whatever birds were singing in the garden at that time of year, in her cleaning clothes, sometimes her hair tied in a scarf, the usual headgear in the 1950's prior to rollers, hooded hairdryers, blow dryers and curling irons. Back then facilities in the middle class English home was usually one bathroom with a bathtub, no shower for a quick wash, shampoo and rinse. I recall washing my hair under the taps in the kitchen sink, not easy or comfortable. Many years ago on my first visit to Florence, Italy, we stayed in a hotel that was at one time a palace. We had a suite which had only a deep tub. I recalled my childhood whilst kneeling on the hard, cold marble floor with my head under a conglomerate of gold-plated faucets while Bob assisted in rinsing off shampoo and conditioner. I complained, he laughed. Somehow I lived through it wondering why a Medici Palace in a piazza, steps away from the River Arno, couldn't be modernized. A building, historic, patinated, antiqued and gorgeous, and me, spoiled by all the mod cons of America. I soon learned of Italian history and beauty, and made a vow to return as an Italian in a future life!

My childhood Sunday mornings also became a cleaning day. . . . . .until my brother came along when I was eight. Once he was a toddler my mother decided Sunday morning cleaning was easier for her if I took him to the park for a few hours. I don't recall complaining. Pushing swings and roundabouts was more fun than vacuuming and polishing furniture. 

With the winter months approaching 'housework' becomes annoying. Burning wood on the hearth is wonderful and warming, keeping up with the dust it makes is a chore. Gardening is comfortable at last, cooler days and no mosquitoes, but we have no mud room in this small house so garden debris stuck to footwear results in gritty floors requiring extra cleaning. As Christmas approaches an assortment of live greenery, berries and such make their way to the mantel, tops of armoires, stairwell etc. Things are dropped, roll under furniture, disintegrate as the weeks pass by.........and all cause more dust.  Reminders of those childhood days of vacuuming, dusting and polishing come to mind, sadly the bending and kneeling required to do a bang up job is not so easy now. So, we do what we can, promising to declutter, downsize, perhaps hire a cleaner, anything to 'make life easier' and take away some of the stress of keeping house more perfect. Fewer years on our calendar mean we need time to do exciting things while we can. 

By the way, did you know dust is invisible to most grown men . . . . . . . .and small birds, such as my wren, are extremely 'house proud', just as my dear mother was.





20 comments:

  1. Dearest Mary,
    Sure am glad that I just had trained my new cleaner by working alongside her for 3 weeks before my accident. TRUE dust is not noticed by grown men...😜
    You were lucky for having a vacuum cleaner when you were a child. We had wooden floors and no vacuum. Had to wax them on hands and knees... Bedrooms had the kind of linoleum, that got swept with a soft broom—made of hair and then mopped.
    Such a broom made of hair (VERO) and also a round one for catching cob webs was perfect. Still have those and my cleaning lady asked where I got them—had them with my household goods shipped from The Netherlands but now they are only available in synthetic fiber and in cocos for outdoor window cleaning.
    Oh, those darling house wrens are so super active! LOVE them.
    Stay warm and cozy!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh, Mary, remembering the 60s when cleaning tools were rather more primitive than today! (And women were of course the only people who could see dust!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, women are usually the housekeepers. . . . . . and it never ends!

      Delete
  3. Dear Mary,
    What a wonderful post! Your mother and mine were cut from the same cloth, for mine was house proud, too. Saturday was our cleaning day, as my mother worked Monday to Friday. I remember my mother on hands and knees washing the floor, followed by the old floor polisher after wax had been applied, and sliding in stocking feet on the slippery surface.
    Now things are much easier, but still require getting on hands and knees to clean corners and baseboards.

    How lovely that little wren is, peering out of the birdhouse! Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had wonderful mothers didn't we. I was thinking how different their lives were - they certainly didn't waste precious time on social media!!!!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy homekeeping (yes, even cleaning!) but it becomes a bit more challenging as we grow older, doesn't it? But it keeps us busy and out of trouble. ;-) I tend to be a perfectionist as far as keeping things tidy and clean, but there's also certain things I tend to let go because I loathe them...cleaning out the refrigerator, cleaning the oven, and scrubbing the tub and shower. Now those jobs, I would gladly hire out for! (But I don't.) I just count my blessings that Brian helps out with whatever I ask him to do. My dad didn't do any housework at all. My mom did everything (my sister and I cleaned the bathroom and dusted every weekend) and she worked FT, too. Thank goodness, times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you have a self-cleaning oven Mel? Best thing ever! Walk-in showers are a lot of work - well mine is and I need to get rid of tiles with culk! Worse stuff to keep looking clean and fresh!

      Delete
  5. With my desk job, staring at computer screens most of the day, I rather enjoy doing some physical work such as cleaning, ironing and so on. Like you, I enjoy my place being clean, neat and tidy, and having only a few things dotted around on surfaces such as the chest of drawers in my bedroom, the top shelf of my private desk (and nothing at all on my work desk when I'm done for the day) makes dusting a relatively quick job. It also helps that I am on my own now, no pets or other people living with me on a permanent basis. And no gardening means I don't bring in any debris from that, either.
    Bob and you are a great team! Keep up the bending and kneeling as long as you can. You know the old, true saying: Use it or lose it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wish I lived alone - men make too much mess and work. Just kidding!!!! Wouldn't be without my Bob.

      Delete
  6. I am exactly the same. Although I can no longer do the major clean (once a month my cleaner does this) but every day I go round and put everything in its place - I cannot bear to sit in an untidy dusty house. I cannot resist quoting Jilly Cooper, the writer, here - hope you are not offended by it: "if you amuse a man in bed he will never notice the depth of dust under it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with Jilly Cooper but she must be a funny British comedienne!!!!! We Brits are often a bit standoffish, even prudes but, when it comes to comedy, those who choose that path are often quite naughty, haha!!!!

      Delete
  7. Dear Mary,
    First of all, I want your Bistro de Paris sign. It would look really nice in my new conservatory 🤣 { It looks lovely in your home as well 🤣 !!!!!! } You just summed up so many Mothers in the 1950's ...... mine was exactly the same. My Grandmother worked ' below stairs ' in a grand house. She always said no wonder some housewives were depressed in the modern era as they had so many products to make life easier that they didn't have much to keep them occupied !!!!!! I think I'd rather be depressed than have to lay coal fires at 5 in the morning, blacken fireplaces, wash filthy pots and pans with soap flakes and carpet beating !!! Don't do too much Mary and make sure you have a lovely glass of wine when you're done . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jackie I would gift you with that sign in a heartbeat if you lived close by! I've had it for years, it is nice, but in my wishing to declutter I wouldn't mind saying au revoir to it!!!!!
      Getting packed today for the Arizona trip - looking at the dust and thinking it will have to wait until I get back!

      Delete
  8. A friend of mine once asked me how I keep my house so clean. I told her, well, both me and my husband do things daily to keep it clean. We did this too, when we both worked full time, had our son at home, and had a house full of cats! No small feat with all of that going on. There are times we deep clean, though not very often, and both of us keep the place picked up and tidy. Both of us were taught that you should keep your house clean should anyone ever drop by. My sister who is 67 had to hire a house cleaner to do the really hard stuff, like scrubbing floors and bathroom fixtures, and all of the vacuuming. If we need to hire that out one day, we will, though we will more than likely have to hire the yard work out first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love cats, at this point in time we decided no more pets as they make a lot of extra work - plus difficult to travel! Once I've decluttered in the coming months (hopefully), I will most likely hire a cleaning service for the coming years.

      Delete
  9. LOL...I had a feeling dust might be invisible to ALL men lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain dear, you're probably right, although I must say Bob does need cataract surgery in the new year so maybe when he sees the dust he'll know what I'm talking about!!!!

      Delete
  10. I must admit I have someone come and clean my house once a month, then it is easier for me to keep it up inbetween. Not fun to get down on my knees any longer. I probably can often ignore a little bit of dust. Jim is bothered by dirty floors, so he focus's there. I am bothered by things out of place, so that is my focus. We both pay attention to the bathroom. So I guess we balance each other out when it comes to cleaning.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.