Sunday, June 30, 2024

Growing up in Devon -

 

This beautiful scene depicts part of my English childhood. Created in pastels after a visit to my home town, a dear friend now long gone, gave this to me so I would always remember where I came from and what I loved about the countryside where I spent so much time.  The tall oak tree in the center of the fields was one I often climbed in with my best friend. She and I would balance astride a sturdy lower branch, talk about our dreams and the future. These fields were where my mother and I would gather mushrooms early mornings . . . . . . before the dairy cows came out and trampled them. 

Much changed over the years before I decided to come to America. We grew up and my best friend became a hair stylist. I went to college and trained to be a secretary, remember them? We had boyfriends and danced in clubs. My mother worked several jobs and we gave up tramping through the damp fields, preferring to sleep a little later before going to work. My dad worked hard too, and my brother became a great tennis player whilst still in school, trained and played mixed doubles with Sue Barker as his partner - Brits reading this know who she is of course!

Growing up in another country, across a wide expanse of water, means your children and grandchildren may not spend a lot of time in your homeland. We took our children to England several times when they were young. Travel was much easier in so many ways. . . . . .or perhaps it seemed that way because we were younger, healthier, and the world was a much different place! They spent time with their grandparents and other family members. They met my school friends, neighbors and their families. We enjoyed English summer days at the beach, some sandy others pebbly, Devon has a selection of both. Outdoor afternoon tea, watching brilliant colored peacocks strut through the orchard gardens was fun. Viewing wild ponies run across the golden gorse smothered ancient landscape of Dartmoor was exciting to city children. 

One of my own favorite childhood memories is of summer Sunday afternoon picnics on the banks of the River Dart. The surrounding moor was always a special place. . . . . .and the weather was usually pleasant and cool compared to here in the US southeast. Writing this today in much too hot, close to 100 degrees, and in a severe drought, I have a deep yearning to be back home across the pond.




For me, there really is no place like home. Mine is still across the ocean despite having lived here many more years than there.  Off to grab a cold drink and then pull a salad together - too hot to cook, too hot for anything much. Hope your summer days are pleasant.  


Devon thatched cottages in Shiphay village where I grew up.




6 comments:

  1. Dearest Mary,
    The English Rivièra is indeed cool compared to the Mediterranean Rivièra and even more so, compared to the Southeast where you and I live!
    Love the rolling landscape but as you already stated—your memories are from a long time ago and things are not static, they change with time.
    Oh, I too long to the summer fields of my childhood but there now are many subdivisions build and that scenery is gone.
    Nostalgia gets even more pronounced as we age—it takes its own life.
    Yes, it sure was hot this week, we went over 100°F but the humidity was not that high, as you also stated, it is a severe drought for the farmers in the fields.
    I've been contemplating to sprinkle the lawn but it is out of question for me to do that and the teenagers that help me water the patio pot plants are not really up to that task. Be it as it is... Hoping for some rain and that is it.
    Never would want to go back to The Netherlands to live there as it is way too overpopulated and far too many rules and regulations. Both of us appreciated the freedom and personal freedom we enjoy here compared to Western European countries.
    Also medical treatment is easier here, not such an endless waiting list as in the more socialized government countries.
    That is an important aspect of our life as we age!
    Pieter would never have reached his age while living in The Netherlands due to the long wait. Here he had next day quadruple bypass + stent placed in his neck the next day after being transported by ambulance to be under a top heart surgeon's care. My best friend was stunned that something like that was possible here. They also treat elderly with less urgency back there, most die before ever being scheduled...
    Sure, this is not heaven and nowhere on earth we find that! But with all the freedom and possibilities we can create a comfortable life for us.
    Personally, I've never had any issues with the heat but do have with cold.
    Hoping you manage to stay cool and comfy and just dream about fond memories!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those attractive thatched cottages still being built today? If not, what sort of residences do young families move to, to raise their children?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your longing comes across painfully clear, dear Mary. Were you never intent on moving back for good (with Bob, of course), or was it simply out of the question for reasons of work etc.?
    Weather-wise, we've been having the wettest June on record, I believe.
    And a drastic drop in temperature from Saturday (33C) to Sunday (21C and lower after more rain all afternoon), July is off to a chilly start today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Mary. I can feel your yearning for your homeland, and Devon is such a beautiful county to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As we age we begin remembering the days of our youth and wanting to return to those memories. I have a friend that lives here in Portland and has been dreaming of returning to her childhood place in hawaii. She and her husband are now moving this fall. I will miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I told myself I would put my name on the last post and guess what, I didn't. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.