Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Travel to where? A new guessing game.


Ready for another little travel guessing game?

 Had to send our passports away when we returned from Ireland.
Always a concern as having your precious passport in, or close by your hot little 
 hand, is much more comforting. Knowing it's 'out there' perhaps flying overhead
 without you relaxing squished in economy with your knees under your chin, or 
traveling on a bumper to bumper dangerous highway to an embassy in our
 bustling nation's capital, can be disconcerting.

Knowing it arrived, thanks to online 'tracking', and was signed for by the embassy
receptionist, was the first sigh of relief. Waiting almost two weeks for the 
welcome FEDEX truck to arrive at the end of the driveway was a bit nerve wracking.
However they're back, visas attached and, other than a few vaccination updates,
we'll be ready to roll come September.

A new country calls - and it's on one of those far off continents. Bob and I will be
 traveling with long time friend Paula again, off to a place she is very familiar with.
After exiting our arrival city we'll head west where we'll be enjoying luxurious quarters
 with just 12 other guests. . . . .'far from the madding crowd' surely?
Country views will be phenomenal and wildlife magnificent.
Weather should be warm as the equator will be just to the north. . . .and we'll not
be far from a big valley, and west of the lake.

More details after you have a guess - just name the correct country from
these not too obscure clues.
There will be a small prize from that country later, when I return.
I'll toss all right answers in the hat and have Bob pull out a winner.
I think this one will be easy peasy for many of you. 

Leave a comment by this Friday, on this post only please.
I won't post any comments until Friday night - and I'm sure
we will have a winner by then!


Edited:  Not many guesses yet! You have a good chance
 to win something from far away. 
Hope you join in - leave your comment here no later
 than Friday, early evening.

34 comments:

  1. Africa with Victoria Waterfall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might it be Democratic Republic of the Congo? Wherever it is I am already looking forward to hearing about your experiences and seeing your photos! So glad you are going on another journey.
    Farm Gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you are heading to Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guess is either China, or Japan.
    Hope you are feeling better Mary after your hospital visit.
    AnneXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't win Anne but thanks for entering my little gam. I have been to both countries you listed - only the airport in China, but have seen most of Japan which I found quite amazing.
      Mary

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing Kenya! Rift Valley. Lake Victoria. But I thought you'd been there, so I might be wrong. The other guess was Ecuador - the Galapagos, until you mentioned the lake and the valley.
    Wherever you go, have a wonderful time! We leave early early Saturday morning. So excited! And we were just upgraded to a B class cabin with the French balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first guess was Peru, but not sure you need a VISA for there; so I am guessing the Congo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Marilyn, that's one of the African countries I would not visit any time soon!
      Thanks for trying x

      Delete
  7. Oh, I'm so glad to see another fun trip in your plans. I think it might be Tanzania. Can't wait to find out if I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary...I think you are going to Kenya! I am leaving for Kenya next week to spend 3 weeks at Beacon of Hope in Nairobi..I was able to get my visa online so didn't have to send my passport away. Have a great time..Kenya has captured my heart! Blessings,

    Debbie Conley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you've had it for a while because as of Sept. 2015 you can only get it by mailing passport to Kenyan Embassy - at least here in the US.
      Are you in another country Debbie?
      You were right on though - have a safe trip yourself.

      Delete
  9. Kenya I would say.

    "I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills. The Equator runs across these Highlands, a hundred miles to the north and the farm lay at an altitude of over six thousand feet. In the day-time you felt that you had got high up, near to the sun, but the early mornings and evenings were limped and restful, and the nights were cold” Karen Blixen

    Enjoy the trip to Africa - nothing like Africa to restore the soul and bring us again in touch with the silence within. Helena Botha (South Africa)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Helena - my favorite book and movie! Have been longing to visit Kenya - I've loved the other African countries I've seen, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and your own South Africa. I'll remember you as we cross those Ngong Hills.

      Thanks for joining in the game - Mary

      Delete
  10. Dear Mary, I think that you are going to Africa and Lake Victoria and Victoria Falls. If so, how very exciting. Take good care of yourself so that you will be ready for this big adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ngorongoro crater in Africa. You are so adventurous already planning another trip. I am surprised you have to send in your passports after a trip. I don't like that. They already snoop too much. Can't wait to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oops goofed there and deleted in error!
      Anyway Donna, you were close, good guess!
      Kenyan visas now only available via online application and then sending all paperwork with a cashier's check, along with precious passport ], to Kenyan Embassy in D.C.

      Mary -

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Been to Argentina - would loved to visit Brazil when things are quieter there!

      Delete
  13. I am going to guess that you are going to Malawi! Wherever it is, I hope you have a wonderful time.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm awful in geography but I'll guess Brazil just so I can leave a comment. I really enjoy reading about your travels so I'll look forward to your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last evening I picked up a new book to read, Circling the Sun by Paula McLain, and there it was Lake Victoria and the Serengeti. I just know now that is where you are headed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading same book! Our camp will be near where Beryl Markham actually worked for a while!

      Delete
  16. Dear Mary - Just returned home from a trip myself - I am guessing Kenya and The Great Rift Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it Rosemary - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

      Delete
  17. Could it be the Rift Valley and Lake Victoria in South Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, by looking at your visa, I was gonna say Republic of the Congo, but apparently many countries use "Republic of" ... so perhaps it's Kenya, though I thought surely you must have already been there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The DR Congo?
    PS - Why did you have to send your passports away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Melanie - Congo is too dangerous at this time!
      Only safe and positive way to secure Kenyan visas now is to purchase directly from their Embassy in D.C. (used to be able buy on arrival). You have to complete application online then send with passport and fee - always makes me nervous and have had to do it before for other countries. To get a visa for Vietnam I had to go in person to their embassy in D.C. which meant a long roundtrip drive and a hotel room!

      Delete
  20. Well, I'm upset! I posted an answer - "either Kenya or Tanzania", but it did not show up!! What the heck??? Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really odd Julie - I did post every comment received on this blog post - looked back but there was nothing from you my dear!
      It must be out there in the wild blue yonder - sorry!
      Mary -

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.