Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Scribble Picnic. . . . . . Hot Chocolate

My photo edited to a sketch via PicMonkey - watercolor pencils.

HOT CHOCOLATE:  Also called hot cocoa, drinking chocolate or just cocoa,
 is a heated beverage consisting of shaved chocolate, melted chocolate, cocoa powder,
 with heated milk or water and perhaps a little added sweetener. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .and so delicious, especially on a cold winter day.

Believed to have been created by the Mayans 2,500-3,000 years ago as an
essential part of Aztec culture, this beverage became popular much later in
 Europe after being introduced from Mexico.
The history of drinking chocolate is quite amazing so, if interested, be sure
 to go HERE for the entire story.

My SCRIBBLE PICNIC offering today for Michael's theme of Hot Chocolate
is the latest version I've seen for preparing a warming mug of this delicious drink,
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX ON A STICK! 
Believe me this is the way to go but, sadly, these little gems from Germany
 discovered at our brand new LIDL store before Christmas, sold out so quickly. . . . 
I'm kicking myself for not buying a case! They have not reappeared on the shelves
 and, being a seasonal item, most likely will not return until next Christmas.

Coming two to a packet - with a choice of dark or milk chocolate - one for you
 and one for someone dear who likes to share a beverage break, perfect!
All that's necessary is to plop your stick of chocolate into your favorite mug, pour
 on hot milk and wait until it melts into a deep, dark mug of chocolatey heaven.
I'm calling these. . . . . . . 'grown up Popsicles/lollipops!"

Looking forward to seeing what chocolatey drinks our group comes up with
this week HERE - with another cold snap here I'm all for new hot chocolate drink ideas.

P.S. Don't forget, if you haven't entered my guessing game
 as to where I'm traveling to in March, there's still time.
Go HERE and leave a comment with your guess - two countries.
 There will be a little prize for the winner later!




13 comments:

  1. Hi Mary :) OOOOOH...I would have gotten a bunch of those!! But I'm sure there is a way you can make some at home? What a great idea and I love your drawing! Nice little history of chocolate!! I'm a fan of chocolate, in any form except white chocolate, I find it's too sweet for me believe it or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea making our own! Popsicle sticks, best quality chocolate, ice cube trays? Bet it would work. Do you think just melting the chocolate, putting in the stick, it would re-set in the trays - not freezing them of course?
      Rain, no white chocolate - which isn't true chocolate - for me either, far too sweet!

      Thanks for stopping by. Snowing heavily here now - so pretty!
      Mary -

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary :) Well...I have made chocolates before in ice cube trays. They were made from some really nice Lindt milk chocolate bars all chopped up and melted. I added a bit of coconut oil too (it was part of the recipe I had back then). I also added a little splash of Amaretto for flavour. Then I poured them into the ice cube trays. If you check them each half an hour or so, you can pop a stick in them before they completely freeze. I think if you found a good recipe for "ice cube tray chocolates" you can get all the methods and measurements so that they don't melt at room temperature!

      Enjoy the snow storm! (From INSIDE)!! :)

      Delete
  2. Similar to this, my daughter gave several "hot chocolate spoons" as gifts this year. Just type that into Pinterest and you'll find more ideas than ever for making homemade ones!
    Thanks for the link to the history of drinking chocolate. I'm happy to live at this time of being able to enjoy the sweetened form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...I have never seen those 'hot chocolate on sticks' before...what a neat idea! Love your sketch for today's prompt, Mary...nice colour choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious work of art. Love those little chocolate sticks. How clever. I lived most of my life near the Hersey's Chocolate Factory in Oakdale CA. Really interesting to tour a chocolate factory and see vats of chocolate....it was fun to watch them make chocolate chips and candy bars. Your work is always a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hot chocolate piece is beautifully rendered Mary! I didn't know you could get the mix on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never saw that before...bet it is really good though. I used to put extra choc in mine with a Hershey Kiss, would just one or two right down in the cup of choc.....yummy.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo turned sketch!!!! Those chocolates on a stick look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot chocolate is indeed perfect for the cold days you are experiencing. Keep warm and keep sipping hot cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I would be one to definitely give those a try if I saw them. Great sketch. I love the reflections in the cup and the cellophane. Such a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on this, Mary, and wow, what a find! I love that idea too. how simple and wonderful. I just hope you can find them again and not have to wait until xmas!

    I actually already had read the link you have here before writing this into the one of the themes. :) Fascinating history for sure.

    Ok, off to play your guessing game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a new concept. I think I like it. Like your sketch of it.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.