Saturday, September 23, 2023

Sunflowers, seeds and squirrels at Summer's end -

 


Some days back, in heat, but not too hot, in sunshine shaded by clouds in the Carolina Blue sky, we gathered our garden tools, put on gloves and hats, and went on a mission in the garden. Taking down the last sunflower was quite a job. Even with the last couple of feet bent and bowing to the earth, this fading beauty was still quite a monster, the huge head of seeds very heavy. The stem required the big loppers, no basic pruners could make a gash in it let alone cut through it.  Bob is almost 6 feet so I'm guessing the sunflower was around ten feet.  Why I never thought to stretch it out on the ground to measure it before cutting it up I don't know. Blame it on two older gardeners' just wanting to get the job done and the mess cleaned up! After all, there were other things waiting, the fried hydrangeas to clip, potted plants to toss, bird baths to clean and replenish, feeders to fill, and watering to do.






I've saved some of the seeds from this huge sunflower.  I made sure the seeds were clean and dry and have stored them in a glass jar.  There's no way I desire to plant an entire field of sunflowers next Spring. . . . . . . so I will be sharing these seeds with neighbors and friends who might enjoy them.


The sunflower head I left tucked into the garden bench - as I did with the former ones we cut down - and of course it didn't take long for the squirrels and birds to discover a feast!


We are currently under a severe flood watch here in central North Carolina.  Early this morning Hurricane Ophelia made landfall at the coast. Winds have been gusty bringing power outages and fallen trees - fortunately neither here at our home - but fingers are still crossed! However, the rain has been torrential and will continue another 2-3 hours.  Yesterday Bob mowed the brown dried out grass, and blew the newly fallen leaves and acorns. Today brilliant green grass has returned and he'll be out there again tomorrow with the leaf blower once things have dried out.

Autumn has arrived - I'm happy - but hurricane activity is always worrisome.
Stay safe if you are being impacted by bad weather.




17 comments:

  1. Apologies, dear Mary, for letting some of your marvellous recent posts slide by - there's been so little time for blogfun lately what with my busy schedule (ho ho). It's so nice to read you've been having lovely breaks away, and still have the energy for whipping your beautiful garden into shape. Bob's looking pretty good, too! How quickly it seems that the autumn change has set in again but fingers crossed the Weather won't be too worrisome. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to know you are well Pip - life does get busy! We're doing the best we can but admit to feeling our ages a little more during this past very hot summer. Gardening is not easy for anyone in over 100F!!!
      Autumn is definitely welcomed this year - and we're off to England soon so know it will be cooler there!!!! Can't wait.

      Delete
  2. It does seem like summer is winding up and as much as I love fall I don’t like goodbyes! I think it’s sweet you can leave the seed heads for the birds and squirrels. I have such a problem with squirrels and unwanted rodents and animals that I just have some bird baths and hummingbird feeders. We have a family of opossums living under our shed and that actually made me happy because they eat a lot of insects and unwanted creatures in your yard/garden and I suspect we have voles!

    Your trip to Bern looked like it was relaxing and the timing was perfect. You made it home in good time. I hope Raleigh was spared a lot a rain.

    I miss you and Bob very much. It was wonderful to see a photo of him. I need to get back on my blog. The days are so busy and go by so fast. Please know I think of you both often and hope we do meet up again some way. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please, please come back and leave me a note signed with your name! You may not have a Google a/c so come up as anonymous! Thanks for the kind words though - hope to hear again from you - Mary

      Delete
  3. That sunflower is truly impressive! Good idea to keep some of its seeds for planting next spring.
    Stay safe, dear Mary - hurricanes and all they entail are scary.
    We're having the most beautiful early autumn weather this week: chilly mornings and nights, but bright and sunny days under blue skies. Perfect for walking, which I intend to do this afternoon once I have done everything I plan to finish in preparation for tomorrow's return to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect where you are Meike - Oktoberfest should be fun, I know you will probably celebrate!
      I'll be looking for your recent trip hilites - you and O.K. always find such beautiful countryside for your walking/hiking holidays. Hope returning to work is not too painful!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Actually, I have never been to Oktoberfest in Munich, and frankly, don't intend to - it is overcrowded, overpriced and over-everything :-D But I guess it can be fun when you are with a group of friends.

      Delete
  4. Dear Mary, I just heard on the news that there was a hurricane in North Carolina. I am glad you are ok, and may you continue to be safe. What harsh weather we have these days. What an amazing sunflower! I can scarcely imagine one ten feet tall. The squirrel looks absolutely sweet curled up enjoying the remains. Be safe. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, we came through this one well - mostly wind gusts and a lot (3-1/2 inches) of torrential rain all day yesterday. Sun is shining brightly this morning - it's sodden everywhere but hopefully will dry fast. The grass so needed a good drink and has greened up again!

      Delete
  5. I wonder if you ought to consult the Guiness Book of records re the sunflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It was a tall one but after wandering through sunflower fields in Provence, and the one we have here in Raleigh, I know there are plenty of taller ones than mine! This particular one is named Mammoth Grey Stripe I believe, they can grow to 12 feet!
      Hugs to you dear Barbara xx

      Delete
  6. Such. a huge flower. I reemember having Sunflower seeds while watching the football match in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first photo looks like Jack and the Beanstalk!
    Are they Russian Mammoth sunflowers - I saw a packet of seeds last year and was sorely tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen such a huge sunflower. It is gorgeous. I planted some mini ones this year but they didn't grow, which is unusual. Sounds like you were busy in the garden. I find gardening very relaxing these days. Take Care, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one tall sunflower. I can imagine what a job it was to take down. I have been working at removing weeds at my son's house. Some were very thick and tall and prickly. Not fun!
    Love how you offered the fresh seed head to the birds and squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping you are staying dry and safe, tucked inside. I love seeing your huge sunflower. We left one head for the squirrels before our trip and they definitely must have enjoyed it. What a treat to lay before them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so cure squirrel on the sunflower! Great picture!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.