Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chandelier magic...............




No, I'm NOT showing you images of snow even though it fell silently in the night, painting the porch rails, turning the gazebo roof white(see it through the window), and bringing the hungry birds to the feeders.....thankfully I thought to fill them yesterday afternoon. It's warm and bright indoors on yet another snowy morning. Just a dusting outside, enough to cover the still dreary garden shades of grey and brown.  Everything will look clean for a few hours before melting occurs as it will warm up and we're promised lovely sunny days ahead.  



Oh yes, point of this post, the chandelier...............it's up and hanging beautifully over the kitchen island!  Hard to capture in photos with so much reflected light from the windows and glass cabinet doors, but hopefully you get the picture!
  

Late last evening when I brought DH home from the airport, I was a bit nervous wondering how he'd take to a surprise chandelier hanging here.................however he really likes it. Being the dear he is, he'll usually go along with most things I do around the cottage......don't forget 'love is blind'. Especially great is the better light it gives off compared to the previous modern ceiling hugging fixture. Because we changed the switch to a high quality dimmer (purchased from the electrical supply house), we are able to safely use 40 watt bulbs rather than 25 watt.  This means a maximum 400 watts of bright light for kitchen prep, which can then be lowered any amount for ambiance.



I'm loving it.  A big thank you to great friends who encouraged me to hang this beauty in my simple cottage kitchen.

21 comments:

  1. OH!!! It looks fabulous Mary! I love it tp pieces.....I know some people think I am strange because I have a vintage chandie hanging over my bathtub...We know better...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I absolutely love it!!! Glad your Hubby did too! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodie! It's hanging, and it looks marvelous. What a delightful addition to your already beautiful kitchen. Big smiles!
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it too. I think it is the juxta position of a kitchen and a chandelier - the last kind of lighting one would expect in a kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's wonderful! You've made the right choice Mary, my husband wouldn't have even noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's perfect and no doubt brings your kitchen to life when it is twinkling away. You must be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous. Something you will enjoy for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks divine in the kitchen Mary!
    Mary you have me confused now lol ! I am starting to lean toward french grey...any suggestions on Paint colour?
    Pamela :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful Mary. Absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The perfect spot! Love it! Now I can add something else to hubby's to do list! We got a dusting of snow too which was so pretty, but I am ready for spring and the color of the spring bulbs!
    Hugs to both of you!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, it's just beautiful. And perfect over your island. I'd love to have one in my kitchen if we didn't already have recessed lighting. I am so happy that your husband likes it, I knew he would!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, it's gorgeous! How did you get it up there if hubby was away?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Mary...I absolutely LOVE your chandelier, it looks amazing....wow you have such an eye for beauty.. Glad your DH liked it too.

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fabulous hanging there! Good buy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary,
    It does looks grand up there and fixing a dimmer switch is a great idea.
    Perfect for a romantic diner a deux on Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, I love, love, love it. Absolutely perfect.♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I told TGD about your chandelier and am about to take the laptop over to show him how it looks. I have a secret longing for a chandelier in the kitchen and yours is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Mary .. I've been away from Bend for three weeks! How lovely returning to 'A Breath of Fresh Air' ... just what your blog is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks perfect in your kitchen. Oh how I would love one in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.