Monday, February 7, 2011

Shed a little light.....................


........on my kitchen.

This beauty is coming home with me!


My search for a chandelier for the kitchen, yes the KITCHEN, is over. I fell for this one as it was being hung in Laurie's booth at SuzAnna's Antiques last week. I yelled, "stop, get off that ladder, don't bother to hang it, I want it".  Well, in all honesty, it wasn't quite like that because I didn't want sweet Laurie to fall off her ladder, and I had to be sure it really was the right one, the one I've dreamed about.  What really caught my eye were the double lights on each of the five arms, meaning plenty of crystal brightness for meal prep.  I'll also put a dimmer switch on it - may as well wash dishes in a romantic atmosphere! My chandelier had to meet the following wish list requirements:

  • Must give off enough light (this one has ten bulbs/250 watts)
  • Has to be short because we don't have high ceilings in the cottage (perfect size)
  • The wiring has to be safe (it's newly re-wired)
  • Clean and bright is a nice extra (chandeliers are pesky to clean up)
  • All the crystals in place if possible (they are, and they match)
  • It can't cost and arm and a leg................it kinda did until lovely Laurie gave me a most generous discount (so was just an arm and 1/2 a leg)
  • It must be antique or vintage European (a tiny metal tag attached says Made in Spain)


Laurie's lovely space at SuzAnna's Antiques

So, I left my treasure hanging with a SOLD sign dangling all week, dreaming about it coming home to my kitchen. Yesterday, after dropping DH at the airport, I hurried to the shop to pick it up.  

After my electrician arrives to hang this lovely fixture over the island, I'll have more pictures to share.  Meanwhile, I'm so excited knowing that soon my little cottage kitchen will be lighter and brighter.......I think I'll definitely be loving it and the long hunt will have been worthwhile.

Oh, almost forgot............it's a Valentine surprise for DH who doesn't like change!  Hope he'll enjoy more light - recently he's been moaning about the current fixture not being bright enough so I think this will make him happy when he returns from Los Angeles........where lots of decorating divas hang chandeliers in their kitchens, don't they?

Anyway, you know me by now, Shabby Farmhouse, Euro Trash, Nordic/French, call it what you will, it's my eclectic view of decor......and I'm really pushing now to get this look all through the cottage, using found/recycled treasures.  

Have you/would you hang a crystal chandelier in your kitchen?  Or am I a little bit crazy here?

27 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how it looks like hanging from your ceiling.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT!!! Cannot wait to see it up in your kitchen.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!!! It was worth all the looking and hunting and waiting for the perfect one Mary! Yes, I would hang that in my kitchen!!

    Can't wait to see it hanging in your kitchen.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary I can't wait to see that lovely chandelier in your kitchen! Won't your hubby be surprised!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy? No
    I think it will probably be stunning and start a trend among all who see it. As a matter of fact, I'm calling The Great Dane's attention to this post right now.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb Mary! I'm sure it'll look fabulous in the kitchen, can't wait for the piccies :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't stopped by for a while and I'm sad that I haven't..I will catch up though.. I **LOVE** the chandelier! I want one for my art room..your Hubby will love it because you do :-)
    Have a great week and enjoy your treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful and I can't wait to see it in your kitchen. I love the plates on the wall in your friend's booth too. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the term 'Shabby Farmhouse' to my husband a few days ago and he nearly fell off his chair laughing!! I definitely qualify it as a style!

    I love your new chandelier and can't wait to see it hanging in your kitchen...it's going to be beautiful. Good things are worth waiting for!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say...do what makes you happy! Love it! Donna C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fixture! Hey I am alive... I hope you are doing well? How is the booth coming along?? I have found myself buried yet once again in The Depot, trying to resurface! I have still been buying too much Junk. I have missed hearing from you. Oh almost forgot my new email address that goes to my phone jannacjordan@gmail.com. Take care, talk to you soon! Janna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes,well if DH goes on your blog while he's away, he won't be surprised now will he? Paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, I absolutely love it! I love that it is metal, not just glass-BEAUTIFUL! Bob will warm up to it immediately :). hugs, Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I have the same dream, and like you, I have low ceilings. Not sure where I would hang it. You give me hope, Mary! You must be thrilled. I can't wait to see a photo of it in your kitchen.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mother had a chandelier hanging in her kitchen all my years at home. It was black with gold paint on all the scrolling and lots of prisms. I still remember cleaning them....ugh....If you'd like a tip we used in the later years- we used eyeglass cleaner and sometimes the special cloth to clean them still hanging. I'm sure it is beautiful and you should surround yourself with things you love. Now if I find a lighthouse style (original)lamp I'll be all over it....lol....

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beauty ~ can't wait to see it in your kitchen ~ yay for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Mary.. I can't wait to see the chandelier hanging in your kitchen!!!

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anything you do always turns out fabulous. I can't wait to see the kitchen with its new chandy. You have great style!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, Mary. I love it, too. I know you must be so excited. And, I can hardly wait to see it hanging in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary it is stunning, love the country rustic charm of the branch like arms.
    I haven't quite got around yet to putting a chandelier in the kitchen.
    So far I've been restrained and kept to the hall & landing but I could be tempted.
    Looking forward to seeing yours in situ and hearing what your other half has to say when he returns from LA.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found your blog via From The House of Edward and love it. I'm now a follower. The chandelier is great. I've been on the hunt for one and I've noted your sensible and practical requirements list for further perusal. Can't wait to read your past posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it Mary and look forward to seeing it in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love chandeliers everywhere! Bathrooms too! I love your style and we are quite similar in our taste....rusty and elegant...with sparkle thrown in.

    Great find!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been wanting a chandelier over my kitchen sink for...ever! You picked a beauty Mary!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful as usual. Happy you found your heart's desire. Blessings Mary.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a spectacular find and thank you for sharing. Love the walls too and the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My family would think I was crazy to have this hanging in my kitchen, but I have finally convinced my husband something like this would look lovely in the dining room. Now the search is on. I love that you found what you have been looking for. Isn't the search just wonderful? Can't wait to see it hanging in your kitchen and hear your husband's reaction.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.