Monday, February 28, 2011

Napa Valley vineyards......


Driving on toward St. Helena in the Napa Valley, signs of Spring were everywhere.  Blossoms of the softest pink on the almond trees, brilliant yellow flowers carpeting the rapeseed fields, and lots of sweet flowers filling the rows between the wizened root stocks of the old vines as they awaken from dormancy. Ready to start putting out new growth as the warmer weather arrives, the vineyards were beautiful, spreading out from the roadsides and climbing steadily up the gentle California hillsides.





Along the way were many beautiful vineyards. Elegant homes, outbuildings, olive and cypress trees scattered on the hillsides were reminiscent of Tuscany and the South of France.






Wouldn't you just love to have a back yard like this?  My friend Paula's friends live here in a beautiful house.  Beyond their garden is acreage which encompasses a fine vineyard in the Oak Knoll appellation.
Next time, the wine tasting......of course!!!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I wish spring would show up at my home town soon. I am tired of the color of white and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful interlude that must have been for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such grat photos. I love northern CA. I did a home exchange with someone in Pebble Beach a few years ago-it was heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful landscape! I'm sure you're enjoying your trip so much! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scenery, Mary, the cypress trees are very reminiscent of Italy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are fabulous photos. Such a beautiful area. Have fun at the wine tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous scenery. Thanks for sharing again. Enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Reminds me of my travels through Italy. I know you are enjoying your trip. Drink some wine for me. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures touch my heart and sing of home. I grew up in Sonoma County and seeing these pictures is delightful. It does have the feel of Tuscany.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Mary!! It looks like France!!
    I would love to see this...one day!

    Pamela xo

    ...still painting those ladderbacks lol !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, it looks like a perfect place for a country home. I love the California wine country. It feels as if one is in Italy! Glad you are enjoying a wonderful time with Paula and others. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! It does look as if you were in Italy. Ahh, the beauty...the wine...
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.