Sunday, January 12, 2014

A little warming, spicy food required...................


I'm up and about again and in the mood to cook nourishing, 
warming meals. This is one of my favorite vegetarian 
stews/hotpots from chef Brian Glover, found several years ago 
in a UK magazine........I love his recipes.



The original recipe calls for preparing dried beans - and 
I used to do all that work - but these days it's so much 
easier adding canned beans. They are just as good and not 
really more expensive....also they seem to have great sales 
on them at this time of year.


To finish off this lovely warming stew I'll cook it 
down more to thicken it, and will be adding a little 
cream to smooth and enrich it, more fresh chopped 
cilantro, and also mint.....I managed to find a few 
sprigs in a pot tucked away in the garden before 
the storm crashed into us yesterday.
Many thanks to all who sent get well wishes - I'm on the mend.

Edited: I've been asked for the recipe so am including it below. Hope you can print and read. If you prefer a better copy I'll be happy to send one - please e-mail me at quitecontrary43@gmail.com with your mailing address.
I tweaked it regarding the beans - canned ones work fine. 



14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read that you are on the mend - and a spicy stew will speed the recovery, I'm sure.
    Up here we are in day 3 of pounding rain and high winds. Stew sounds like just the thing for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly looks healthful! Glad that you are feeling much better. (I've been known to rinse a can of baked beans off and use them in a soup in a pinch. Seems to work just fine.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary, I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Yes, this is a good time to cook up some good and wholesome soups. We have a lot of squash and would love to try your recipe. I could probably wing it but can you post your version of this fine looking soup? ox, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are so colourful and the soup looks so hearty. Glad to hear you are on the mend now. Take care and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like the perfect "get better" soup! Hope the sun is shining and you are feeling much better Mary.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better. The stew looks good, just right for a winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,

    I missed your "Under the Weather" post so I'm a little late in saying get well! I'm glad you are and this looks like the ultimate comfort food in a pot (don't you love the ease of the clean up?). I see many recipes calling for the sweet squash and like a child, I shun it without tasting it, and I just know I will love it...so I'll try it soon in one of my stews. We are trying to eat meatless as much as possible and I made a wonderful soup tonight with veggies and Great Northern beans. If you want to get creative, make a soup or stew! Making the base, chopping the veggies, choosing the herbs and spices, and most of all, sharing with our loved ones! Heaven! :)

    I love your pictures. We still have that beastly squirrel living in our garage. Every time I put a bag of trash in the can I say, "Here's dinner, darling!"

    Love to you,

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just what the doctor ordered for you Mary!
    I'm so glad you're on the mend!
    I'm off to google Brian Glover - that's my kind of food!
    Sending hugs and another pocket full of sunbeams for you and Bob!
    Shane XOX

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the mend is good Mary, great in fact ~ and this stew looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary, Thank you for posting your recipe...it looks like a good one...perfect for a wintry day, of which we are having many. ox, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. The recipe sounds terrific!
    Glad to hear you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! Love soups like that, and glad you are better although I have to read your older posts to find out what happened! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary....How will I ever thank you for your generosity...I will forever cherish my gift from you and your husband. May the peace of God continue to richly bless you!

    Mr. D

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.