Friday, April 28, 2017

Swim buddies. . . . . . . .


An unusual pair at the swimming hole - the Brown Thrasher and the Eastern Bluebird.




Neither one appeared bothered by the other - don't you love it when people, animals
 and even birds get along together, sharing the same space, attending to their personal
needs, even singing a song whilst doing it.


This is a male bluebird but as the male and female thrashers are identical, 
I'm not sure if this is mixed bathing, or two of the boys getting squeaky clean to
 pursue their respective mates. 
It's that time of year again, the birds are definitely feeling romantic and are
 in nest-building mode.



Bob and I will soon be off on the water ourselves. 
The Mediterranean calls and we're looking forward to the trip
around Sicily and Malta.
My neighbors and family members who stop by will hopefully keep the
 bird baths topped up - with all that splashing the water level soon
drops and bathing becomes difficult for the larger birds.


10 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, I really don't know how you do it!! These are worthy of any "Nature" magazine!
    A trip around Sicily and Malta sounds great. I have spent the summers of 10 years on Sicily, before and during my marriage to a Sicilian, but I've never been there in the spring. Malta is on my wish list. Maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding photos of them, Mary. You can see how much fun they were having. We are still waiting on our blue-birds and enjoying our nesting tree swallows. I noticed that we have a nuthatch nesting in our maple tree, too. The fifth photo is funny.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a wonderful bird bath years and years ago. It is copper .. it is now a lovely green .. When I bought it , we had a walled in garden and the birds were happy. I kept it through all the moves and homes and countries that we lived in :) Now here I am in Florida.. it sits on a garden pot, in the lanai, with water in it .. for the cats to drink :)
    Someday, soon I hope, I will be back in the country with a perfect place to put my bird bath out again ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary, I love all of your Bathing Beauties. What wonderful portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous photos! Yes, it is wonderful when birds/people can share the same space and get along. =D

    Good thing you won't be gone for too long as the best things are happening at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that bluebird! Be still my heart. How I would love to have one visit my bird bath. Have fun on your cruise! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the bathing birds photos. I could watch the birds all day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are amazing! I just love your bird posts.
    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. More beautiful birds. :) My younger sister announced she was going to Malta for xmas one year when only 17...all by herself, and amazingly, my mother left her as she threatened to leave if not allowed. Never have heard the full story of what happened there but rumours abound.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.