Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Going through changes.....


If you're wondering what on earth is piled up on my sofa and chairs, I have to agree that it's all looking a bit of a mess right now.   After the recent living room paint freshening, some serious searching for new upholstered furniture ensued, only to  come to an abrupt halt...........our small room could never hold the super-sized sofas and chairs that clog furniture departments these days!  



Enter my Italian friend, a former Milan trained tailor who now makes the world's best slip covers.  One visit to the cottage, a few hours making her perfect patterns for sofa and two chairs........while sipping cups of tea and dipping biscotti of course, and voila, several weeks later, spanking new creamy slip covers were ready to pick up, bring home, and zip on.  New looking furniture at last! 


Once I realized I was now pulling together the simplified, eclectic, French-Nordic look with my newly covered upholstered pieces, I was able to add other things I've been saving, such as the vintage locker baskets to hold my books and favorite magazines, the painted table with beautiful old foxed mirror top, the fluted end table, and decorative items found while treasure hunting. 




Soon I hope to have the entire room shipshape and decorated for Christmas..............then I will show you what I found on my recent travels to a couple of North Carolina's great antiques malls.  

12 comments:

  1. Looking beautiful already! I can't wait to see the big reveal!! Loving the baskets! See you tomorrow! Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new covers look lovely Mary, and I'm lovin' the locker baskets too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cream slip covers sound beautiful - a distant dream for me I'm afraid as cream anything and B Baggins definitely don't go together:) Looking forward to seeing the finished room. And I love the picture on your Thanksgiving post - that is absolutely me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it is looking great! I can't wait to see it all together. I love the direction you are going in Mary! It makes me want to start all over...lol.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even when you're in the midst of changing things I love your style. Everything looks like it will soon transform to another beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never do just one thing! It always leads to more! And don't we enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about the huge furniture they show on showrooms. Most won't fit into a small apt. I am looking forward to seeing the next post.

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds gorgeous Mary. You are "building" my dream living room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, your new space must be gorgeous. I admire your style with all that you do, and your French-Nordic will most certainly be stellar. You have the magic touch! Can't wait to see more. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I wish she was nearby and could make slip covers for me. I have so wanted some. Love what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slip covers are a great thing! I'm hoping to get some to change things for summer which seems so far away. Who am I kidding?, I am enjoying the snow!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.