Sunday, January 6, 2013

Adventure travel..................




................is definitely an adventure from start to finish! Adventuring to Antarctica comes with rules, regulations, and a long list of must-haves for protection and comfort in the cold. A balmy, sunny 40 degrees Fahrenheit may be reached when I'm there as it's actually high Summer now, but it may be much colder.



Even packing for the adventure becomes exciting exasperating when the clothing checklist includes layers and more layers. Base layers, mid-layers, outer layers, dry layers, wicking layers, warm layers, fleece layers, silk layers, down layers, definitely NOT cotton layers. Then there's the feet which are very important - tall, totally waterproof Wellington boots with good traction soles, at least a size larger than normal to accommodate the socks - liner socks, thick outer socks, fleece boot liners, and if you really hate cold feet, the foot warmer thingies you can tuck in the toes, just like those for your gloves. Oh yes, the gloves, also very important - who wants frostbite from snapping all those amazing (hopefully) photos to share with you later. So, fingerless gloves, thin glove liners, huge bulky padded outer gloves, and yes, those warmer thingies to slip inside the gloves are stashed in my duffel bag too.......somewhere in the mess!

Please keep my tootsies warm!


Readying my carry on bag.........cameras, laptop, a change of clothing for the day and overnight in Buenos Aires where it will be hot, and yes, that's a jewelry pouch because even on the seventh continent I'm going to enjoy having a little 'bling' to liven up all those utilitarian layers at dinner time! Scarves will be going too........and several hats.......and you know I'm not turning up in the dining room wearing wellies!

As you can see from these pics taken today, my house has become a weigh station for large duffels. I tried, I really did, to get all the stuff in one, absolutely impossible. Perhaps one should adventure/expedition while still young..........they seem to manage with a backpack and not much else. They can move their lithe bodies through airports and into narrow plane seats with their extra layers already on their bodies. They don't require ten pounds of lotions and potions to look clean, rested and vibrant.......hair styling is unknown, they wash everything with a bar of soap, they don't even own a cuddly robe and slippers let alone pack them for a trip.........and I just bet they sleep in their t-shirts and undies, or nothing at all!

I know, I know, this trip is "an expedition" not a fancy smancy cruise like the recent Crystal sail from beautiful Venice to awesome Istanbul.............but I must have some creature comforts so far away from home and hearth. I hope you're in agreement..........and please wish me luck that all my luggage arrives safely otherwise I've not a clue what I'll do!



13 comments:

  1. I am sure all will arrive safely. It looks like you have many layers covered. Enjoy and bring back your usual fabulous stories and pictures. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great trip, look forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading all that gave me packing fatigue! But you will certainly have an adventure that most of us will probably never manage. High summer in Antarctica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Goodness dear! I'm so excited for your up coming trip. All of those layers you'll need made me a little confused just thinking of it. :) Luna is feeling better, but only today she felt like her old self, if you know what I mean...
    Dear, if we don't get to see each other, I just want to wish you an amazing time, new discoveries, and a safe time while traveling out there in the cold. I love you! Will miss you! Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh when do you leave? How exciting - I am looking forward to seeing photos and reading about your adventures. Funnily enough my daughters convinced me last year to do a backpacking holiday in Malaysia and Borneo, and I was instructed to only bring minimal items in a backpack. It is amazing what one can do without!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll pray for very adept luggage people! Wow! I can't wait to hear about this trip! I assume you have been on every continent except Antarctica, and this will fill in that square. You should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting it all sounds! Are you sure you'll have room in your luggage for all of us, too?
    You know how much we enjoy travelling with you!
    Safe trip on Wednesday, have fun (not too much!) in Buenos Aires and take loads of pix to share when you return next month.
    Happy landings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary,
    It looks like you have done OK with the packing, two bags is quite acceptable for a long trip. I must still be in youth mode as I'm happy travelling light. I can easily wear the same outfit for a week at a time, don't mind not showering, can easily go a week without washing my hair and moisturising facial wipes are all I need for weeks on end. I'm quite grubby really. Must be a throwback from all the backpacking I did in my youth :-)

    When do you leave?
    Looking forward to travelling vicariously with you.
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a lot to think about and pack according to the directions! And yes, when one watches The Amazing Race on TV with the couples jaunting all over the globe with only a backpack one realizes what you said is probably true. Good for you to think of bling and a few creature comforts to stick in the bag. Have fun and God be with you and Paula on your expedition. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary, I came over to see what your latest trip will be and where. Since I recently went through packing for our river cruise I can sympathize with how difficult it is. I didn't have to contend with lots of layers because of extreme cold. Thank goodness. I did decide to wear three basic colors. Grey black and red. It worked out so well. Have a wonderful trip and be safe.

    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wah Wah Wah (said while laughing as i've not even started actually packing yet and my bedroom is a mess.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness that is some duffel bag! What a lot to take too. Whew! Good luck moving around. Have a totally awesome trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn , that's the two duffels lined up - hoped to take one but no way can I get everything in! So two are going, plus my carry on with cameras, and incidentals and a backpack instead of a large purse - can tuck a small purse inside and have room for other stuff, plus need the backpack to transport/keep dry cameras etc. on the zodiacs when going ashore. I tell you - adventure travel is not simple, ha! ha!

      Off tomorrow - will be in touch again in Feb. when I return.

      Hugs - Mary

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.