Sunday, August 22, 2021

Signs of life -


A recent visit to New England - first travel away from home in so long - included 
familiar small towns tucked along scenic coastal New Hampshire.
Portsmouth has always been a favorite and we spent many a day there
 when we lived in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts.


Portsmouth, historic seaport and popular summer tourist destination
 on the Piscataqua River bordering the state of Maine. 

Some interesting places and signs noted as we walked around the town.
You may recall how much I love signs.








Meanwhile, packing an overnight bag today as we will head out of town
 tomorrow on a short road trip to visit a dear friend in Charlotte, NC. 
Of course it will include a quick stop at IKEA on the way back as we
 don't have one here!

I'll have news regarding other planned travel later in the week.
Have a good Sunday - stay safe if you are in the path of Hurricane Henri.


13 comments:

  1. What wonderful signs! Have fun in Charlotte and at Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your collection of signs Mary - have a great visit, and enjoy going to Ikea. We visited our Ikea earlier in this week but mainly for food. We like their Lingonberry conserve, their fresh salmon together with their Mustard and Dill sauce to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought chocolate, cookies and crackers. . . . .and yes definitely the dill sauce!

      Delete
  3. My favorite is the Pickwick's Mercantile one. So perfect for a New England merchant. Yippee for a day trip and a visit with a friend. Ikea...it is probably a good thing that I don't know what I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like to stop there when I find one on a trip when we are driving - perhaps good we don't have one in town, I'd be there far too often!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your break....of course you cannot pass Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - always something new to see!

      Delete
  5. Dearest Mary,
    Some very nice signs and quite an international collection too.
    Pickwick is a Dutch Tea from Douwe Egberts.
    Kaffeehaus must be an authentic German coffee shop.
    No doubt you felt like a fish in the water for being back there.
    Safe travel!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary, You found some great signs in New England. I like them all, but particularly the Elephantine Bakery. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the signs Mary! Especially the elephant, very neat! I hope you have a nice little trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful signs; of course I was most intrigued by the German Kaffeehaus.
    Have a nice trip and good visit at IKEA's - we've been to ours here two weekends ago and bought a foldable table and chairs for our courtyard BBQs at O.K.'s parents' place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Portsmouth is a pretty place to visit Mary. The bakery sign is gorgeous, and there is an art gallery, and a historic museum. My kind of place to visit. I could not resist checking how close you were to my daughter in Ottawa: only 400 miles, or about six hours drive. To an Australian this is very close indeed :) I hope you had a good trip to Charlotte and Ikea. x

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.