Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Humid 'Dog Days' of August -



Mornings with fog and a whiff of delightful coolness in the air. Doesn't last long 
though as the humidity seeps through with the harsh rays of the August sun.
Early, whilst the neighborhood is 'sleeping in', I cross the damp grass
 in my Nike 'pool shoes'. I don't have the pool but love those slip on sandals
 in the garden as I can hose them off, even run them under the faucet, 
to easily keep them clean!


Ms. Nala, in my care for a few weeks, waits patiently for breakfast and 
 now and again, plops on my lap and permits a cuddle for a few minutes, 
purring loudly. It always takes about a week for her to do this when
 I'm cat sitting, cats are like that.



Bees, bunnies and noisy cicadas are busy.
Our baby bunny is growing fast and is now almost as big
as his mama. He's not shy and will allow me to walk close by 
for a "hi little one, how are you today" chat. 



Who knew cicadas had such lovely colors close up - they are dull and grey 
from a distance.


Robust looking American robins are everywhere now the figs are
 ripening. . . . . . in the tree nibbling and on the ground nibbling again 
when fruit fall to earth. They really love figs, and they love water breaks
on hot days.


Celeste fig harvest is awesome again this year. We've picked pounds
and shared with neighbors, friends, the mail carrier, and the gardener we've 
employed to help with some backyard work this week.
I'm eating some fresh from the tree, and this week will most likely bake
 these really yummy fig frangipane pastries. Click HERE for the easy recipe
shared back in 2015!



My neighbor's large tomatoes are wonderful now and I'm harvesting
 several daily. Whilst he's away I get to pick and eat as he insists
 they're 'our' tomatoes! Today I plan to make panzanella, that great
 Italian salad I first enjoyed in Cortona, Tuscany so many years
ago. It will use up some of the last basil from the garden and the
 few days old bread - Italian style with rosemary and olive oil - we try
 not to waste good food around here.  


Hope your week is going well.
Mine will continue to be busy by the looks of it. . . . .something penciled
in on the calendar for each day.


12 comments:

  1. Dearest Mary,
    Glad that Ms Nala is treating you as family after being for a while in your care. They are clever and know what is going on in their lives.
    Your fig pastry I've saved on my Pinterest. Don't know if I find the time for baking it for my Pieter since I'm not allowed sweets. Looks so yummy!
    Don't you feel that the American Robins are about trice the size of the cute little Robins from the Old World? Certain things are hard to adjust to, mentally that is.
    Oh, I miss our bunnies that always came close to us and loved being talked to. Sure, having outdoor kitties has kept them a bit away!
    As for Cicada colors, on September 5, I'll do a post about them.
    Had so much material still that I worked into scheduled posts finally.
    How come time is going THAT fast for all of us?!
    We did manage to bike yesterday for some 25 km (yes our Strava setting is in Metric) and it felt balmy in the wind that you create when moving.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mornings and nights here are chilly enough to remind one of the approaching end of summer. Also, the light is very different already to what it was like only a few weeks ago.
    Your garden visitors are all beautiful! Hopefully, the young bunny will decide to stick around and not try and visit other gardens where people (and pets) might not be so friendly.
    The figs and tomsies look mouthwatering!
    Like you, I hate wasting food and usually find a use for any scraps in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary the food in your photographs looks absolutely scrumptious - and so does that lovely cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Nala...she is one beautiful kitty. Enjoy the harvest! It's a great time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish that rabbit was in my garden. It is so cute. We have lots of heat here too. It's been one heatwave after another since mid- June and I really hope it rains soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything with tomatoes is so Summery. Your Panzanella looks delicious, and as for the figs....I feel my husband's sigh of envy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fig and tomato bounty! You are so lucky, dear Mary, and your panzanella looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary...oh, I love your posts. That wee bunny, my gosh I'd be naming it and worrying myself sick over it 'til it grew big. It is so adorable. And Nala...lovely girl. She just takes her time with things; a cat's privilege. I love the look of your tomato salad. I may have to try that as our tomatoes are finally ripening up. I'm usually looking for new ways to use them up.It is so sultry here today it is rather sickening. The a/c is on for man and beast. :-) Take care Mary, hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary,
    How beautiful are the glimpses of your garden and its inhabitants. And your food - the panzanella salad looks so delicious, as do those Fig tarts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nala is such a pretty kitty!
    I keep similar "slides" right on my front porch by my door. Those are what I put on to walk around in my yard, too.
    How I wish I were your neighbor to enjoy those fresh figs!
    Your summer salad looks delicious and refreshing for a hot summer day or night.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Nala!
    Yummmm salad!
    Love seeing robins in the garden.
    Fig baking looks delicious.
    Ahhhh! Nike slides! I have been wearing mine a bit lately as they are the coolest to wear in our hot weather.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.