Thursday, August 26, 2021

A long way from home ----

A

. . . . . . . will not be winging its way back across the pond for the time being.


Thatcher Rock and Tor Bay, Torquay, England ~ my home.

For the third time since COVID-19 arrived and shut down the world to international travelers, we are cancelling our long overdue trip home to the UK. We were due to leave in a few weeks and planned to stay for 3 weeks. Now, after much thought and discussion, listing the pros and cons of travel overseas, and checking with my family and friends in England, we have decided not to risk a trip which still has so many cons, especially with new variants rearing their ugly heads, and no way to get a third vaccination before leaving the USA. 



I so miss England. 
I miss not seeing my remaining family and friends across the pond. 
We are all aging and time is precious. It's now well over two years since
 I last visited due to COVID . . . . . the longest period of time I've ever
 spent away from my real home since emigrating almost 59 years ago! 
I am homesick - really homesick! 


Thankfully my home never actually fades from my memory as I've been
 fortunate to go back such a lot. . . . . . and now we will plan to go next
 year, perhaps in late spring.


Vintage Torquay guide book - a much cherished item from home.
I often spend time looking through this book and remembering how
 things were when I lived there in the 'good old days.'  


There really is "no place like home" no matter how long one has been
 gone and made a new life elsewhere. 
Do I have regrets about leaving? Yes, sometimes I do, but I mostly
feel I made the right move and am thankful for the good life I've
experienced in America all these years.

To live a full life includes having regrets. T
hey are an unpleasant,
though unavoidable, part of the human condition. 
You may know people who staunchly declare that they have no
 regrets whatsoever. That is unhealthy because with regret we get to
 reassess our lives. Whether or not we chose our actions, 
we get to think about who we are, how we relate to the world
 and where we may have failed.
Regrets are necessary to being a complete human being. 

Meanwhile, as the saying goes, once again "I'll pick myself up, brush myself 
off, and start all over again" - and hope to go back home as soon as possible.


17 comments:

  1. Sharing sorrow with you .... traveling home no matter where that might be, fills our hearts and souls. And those of our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Helen, our loved ones are so important to us. It's really hard when one is so far away and cannot get to visit with them. Fingers crossed we'll get England again and that it won't be too long!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    Sorry that you had to cancel your trip again...
    Yes, picking yourself up and dusting yourself off is a good approach!
    Would hate to fly wearing the mask for the entire flight, makes you suffocate...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know what you mean about being masked on a plane - it was miserable just flying to New England a couple of weeks ago - but 8 hrs. overnight to "olde England" will be terrible - and even if we wait until next year I bet wearing masks will still be in place even then, sigh!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry you are not able to go back home this year. I know it must be very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's hard Penny - we are all getting long in the tooth and need some real hugs!!!!

      Delete
  4. What lovely images of home, dear Mary! A life well-lived will bring highs and lows and plenty of opportunity for reflection, as you say so beautifully, but your reunion with Torquay and loved ones will be even sweeter when the happy day rolls by again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting patiently - well as patient as possible - to see my loved ones. The hardest part of being an international ex-pat is not being able to hop in the car and drive to see one's family and friends across the pond!

      Delete
  5. Dear Mary, I think you took a wise decision, as painful as it may be, to postpone your trip for another half year or so. Missing your home with all that entails is very understandable. Even though I have never lived in Yorkshire, I miss it a lot, too - of course also due to my family and friends there.
    As for regrets; I wonder whether someone who claims not to have any regrets is truly honest. It is none of my business to know other people's regrets, so they are entitled to keep them to themselves, but I guess everyone has them to an extent; as you say, it is part of the human condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . .oh Meike, when you say "a half a year or so" it really does seem unbearable!!!
      I know you and your sister are missing your annual Yorkshire visits too.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Mary...I am so sorry you had to cancel your trip, but it's understandable. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear Mary, I am so sorry to read that you have cancelled your trip once more. What a difficult and painful decision to make and you must feel real grief. Your 'pick yourself up' approach is beautifully British, and the best one can do right now. The photos of Torquay are just lovely, and I love the guide book. We saw Torquay on TV this week with a Joanna Lumley documentary. How we all ache to hold our loved ones. It is 2 years this week since we set off on our trip to France and Canada, and the longest time we have not seen our daughter since she left Australia many years ago. Only the opportunity to chat on Facetime keeps us going. We both find ourselves from time to time looking at Air Canada for flights, but at the moment flights into Australia are simply not offered. Our country is very locked down. I do hope you can plan again soon to fly across the ocean. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are still under the situation of patience. I am sure the day will come to fulfill our hopes. Happy Sunday to y

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very disappointing. One day your dreams will happen. May it be sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wise words.
    I think you’ve made the right decision because we’ve gone from being one of the best areas to one of the worst re Covid.
    Here’s hoping for better things next year!
    Keep smiling, Mary!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mary, I know how you have longed for this trip, and I'm so sorry that you've had to cancel once again. I hope that you find something very special to do during the time of your cancelled trip. Of course, seeing loved ones and friends cannot be replaced. Torquay looks like a beautiful place in the UK, and it's even more beautiful to you because it's home.
    Hugs across the miles, with hopes for better days to come. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.