Friday, August 6, 2021

Birds of blue on golden sunflowers.


 INDIGO BUNTING : Passerina cyanea




Did you know there are some blue birds who really aren't blue at all!  This is the male Indigo Bunting, appearing as blue as can be - whereas the female is just a dull light brown and quite finch-like in appearance. He perched, calling merrily, from one of the tallest sunflowers, his mate answering from the distant stand of trees surrounding the sunflower field. 

Usually only the male buntings are noticed because of their cobalt blue plumage, but actually they are black birds! There's no blue pigment in their feathers. As with Blue jays, sunlight is refracted within the structure of the male bunting's feathers, making them appear blue and iridescent in direct sunlight.

Mostly seen along woodland edges, feeding on insects, it will sometimes come to feeders in spring before insects are plentiful. It's late to migrate, leaving at night in flocks of 5-10 birds. Males return before the females and juveniles, and almost always to the previous year's nest site. The female builds the nest, has 2 broods per year, laying 3-4 pale blue eggs, and the juveniles move to within just a mile from the birth site. 

I'm hoping I will see these handsome birds in my own garden some day.

Have you seen these birds in your garden?



17 comments:

  1. As to your question whether I have seen these birds in my garden - no; as far as I know, we don't have them in this part of the world. Also, I do not have a garden to call my own :-)
    But they are very beautiful, and the colour combination of gold/yellow and blue is one that appeals greatly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question Mary - I wish. They don't frequent the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only two Indigo Buntings have ever been sighted in the UK so I'd be very excited if I ever saw one in my garden! They are handsome birds though and I suppose one can only live in hope....

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but I would sure like to...they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Mary,
    Yes, we have but they do not remain here in the summer...
    Spectacular photos with the yellow sunflowers.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty and such great photography! :) I've never seen bluebirds, they are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Those pictures are so beautiful and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen these birds here, but what glorious photos you've taken. Truly stunning!
    '

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had them at my feeder. Their season here in western Pennsylvania is short. Every year I wait to see them, suddenly they are here and then they disappear. We have beautiful yellow finches that visit also. I would love to capture a picture of a cardinal, indigo bunting and yellow finch together feeding. Someday, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd never heard of this gorgeous bird. Isn't Mother Nature fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the Indigo Bunting is a stunning bird against the yellow Sunflower. It is intriguing that it is black, rather than blue, but the deception in sunlight is wonderful to behold. We have few blue birds, and they are always great to see. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a lovely and beautiful bird...great pictures too!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  13. No Mary - no striking Indigo Bunting here in Germany!
    Interesting how they appear blue though are black.

    A few days ago I got a photo from the Flying Dutchman in the Netherlands and he asked, if I see "it" - I instantly did, which impressed him: a green parrot in green trees - they are trying to settle there, and as I saw a lot of them in Richmond Park in London, I think: maybe they will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't believe we have them in our area. Someone recently sent me three blue bird feathers and they didn't look familiar to me. I did a little research and the Eastern Blue bird is different than what we have. I think you have some gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No such exotica here in the U.K. Mary as you know. You have such beautiful birds . I remember when we did the Appalachian Trail watching the humming birds whilst having breakfast. A lovely memory. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. He seguido la reecomendación, que me han hecho y vengo a conocer tu entrada.

    Si siempree me han gustado los girasoles y cuando he podido he tomado fotos de ellos, en tus fotos están bien acompañados por ese pájaro precioso, que se ha posado en ellos.

    Te deseo un feliz domingo.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.