Thursday, October 1, 2020

SuzAnna's Antiques - still the best!


 
Lovely things for sale at SuzAnna's this week.

A much beloved place moved from the quirky Vintage Village last year.  
SuzAnna's Antiques, still owned by mother and daughter Susie and Jenny, 
is now a huge bricks and mortar store located in the small town of
 Rolesville. . . . . . a pleasant 30 minute country ride from north Raleigh.
On Monday, granddaughter Jasmin and I headed that way in still hot
 sunshine, passing green fields and front yards decorated with pumpkins
 galore - a lovely day to be out and about. . . . . . . and going somewhere
other than a grocery store!!!!!!


Yes, I purchased a few things, of course! Jasmin did too.
My favorite find was this hand painted on wood white pumpkin - looking 
perfect on my mantel.


These small velvet pumpkins caught my eye being royal blue and grey - and
 are now sitting on the perfect plate from Anthropologie.
Old books, who doesn't love them, and how useful they can be when wanting
a splash of your chosen color when styling a table, shelf or corner. This one is 
volume 25 of the 30 volumes of The Works of William Makepeace Thackeray,
printed in 1907.


A stunning set of framed stems from Nature - Jasmin and I both
loved these but decided as we couldn't really afford the whole set
so would leave it for another customer who could!

***************

I use to write a lot about this much-loved local place, the best place to
 shop for antiques and vintage. I enjoyed it so much I had a booth there
 myself, at first shared with my dear friend Vanessa ("Hi Vanessa" - in
 California now!), then we each had a space of our own. 

My granddaughter Jasmin enjoyed a part time job there from
 age 14 to 20 and 'learned the ropes' about decorating with beautiful things. 
  Life changes, Vanessa moved away, I started traveling more frequently
 and for longer times. I was not selling anymore but stopped by weekly on
 treasure hunting trips, and of course to visit with dear friends.

Life must go on and hopefully get back to normal.
The 'treasure hunting' trip on Monday was certainly a 
huge pick me up. Despite masks and distancing where 
possible, seeing old friends, catching up on news and
just being away from the house was awesome.

Off now to prepare for the aeration and seeding of the back 
garden area where a new lawn will hopefully grow!

Enjoy your day - get some fresh air - and welcome what is 
my favorite month, OCTOBER!



14 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! Thoroughly enjoyed this post ... I had wondered about the antique shop. Next time I visit my son, a visit and a bit of shopping ~~ a must! Love the pumpkin on your mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    Yes, October is a lovely and colorful month, especially in the South East of the USA!
    You had a great time shopping with your granddaughter, one can tell and you came home with some favorite finds.
    It is the little things that create happiness in life.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rememeber your writings about Susanna's, and your grandaughter working there. It seems a long time ago now! But she obviously has beautiful things still, very tempting I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice for you and Jasmin to get away and enjoy this shop and seeing friends. I agree...fresh air is lovely in October.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those velvet pumpkins are wonderful - I doubt I could have resisted them! As always, your decorating ideas are beautiful and inspiring. I am glad you and your granddaughter had the chance to drive out there and spend a lovely time not only together, but with old friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary, What a pick me up indeed, a visit to this beautiful shop. What lovely memories of working there in your own stall, and for Jasmin too. Absolutely love the white pumpkin, and the velvet ones look beautiful on that stylish plate. I can see this is a shop after my own heart! Hope the heat has gone, and you can enjoy the season of the pumpkin! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a chance to get out and go to your happy place! Love your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mary - I have green eye envy for your gorgeous hand painted on wood white pumpkin and to hope you both enjoy your favourite month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember you telling us about this place! Glad you got out and went there again. How sweet to go with your granddaughter, too. Love the things you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great way to lift your spirits. The outing with Jasmine sounded like a lot of fun. I do like your white pumpkin painting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary :) There are some beautiful things at that shop...I LOVE those white pumpkin paintings! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mary,
    Spring used to be my favorite season. Now I have changed. Fall has become my favorite season.
    I love the colors of your new Header...you must have been inspired by the Fall colors I see in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect get-away with Jasmin. I love the white pumpkin painting and little pumpkins too. How fun to know SuzAnna's is still in business.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh much I miss our little adventure trips to SuzAnna's!! Hope you and Jasmin had fun. Miss you! xx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.