Monday, December 26, 2022

Boxing Day 2022 -


What are your favorite 'rites of winter'?  Are you curling up under a throw with a new great book? Are you out walking in your new Christmas boots, or perhaps planning a big New Year's Eve party?  Winter days at home, especially these few between Christmas and New Year, can be so enjoyable. 

I've always said Boxing Day is my favorite day of the year. It's a 'my day' of great proportions when I do only things I enjoy. (Even in England as a child I can recall I liked this day very much). Now, this could be just laziness after running myself ragged to prepare for Christmas, or it could be that it's always a day marked on the calendar when I have no plans to be elsewhere, and can do anything I choose. So today I'm making a quick visit here to say hello, hoping everyone enjoyed their Christmas and are perhaps relaxing today. It's very cold and dry here. The sun is brilliant and the winter sky lovely. We will bundle up in warm jackets, cashmere beanies, gloves and scarves and take a walk later when the high reaches 39F. We will eat leftovers as it's a no cooking day for me!  We'll light the fire, watch a movie, raise a glass. I will knit - whilst watching the movie - and make a list of things requiring attention during the remainder of this week. Our New Year's Eve is most likely to be warmer but raining - we might just spend it here at home for a change.

Simple Boxing Day breakfast


Mourning Dove on the Fig Tree - it's chilly!

Decorations soon will be taken down - back to simplicity and natural 


Hoping your Boxing Day is calm and enjoyable.



11 comments:

  1. No cooking here today, either - O.K.‘s sister and her husband hosted our traditional family Christmas lunch today, for the six of us. Very nice, plenty of food and drink, talk and laugh.
    Back to work tomorrow…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh...enjoy the day! Probably my least favorite dayof the year because the let down has been tremendous. It always is. Is this a new profile picture I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boxing Day is always the first day of the biggest international cricket match of the entire summer, always at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. 90,000 people packed in to watch the South African s but listening to the match on the beach would have been smarter (37c).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary, My dog and that beautiful neck scarf you knit for me have been going for long walks across the open fields. It's been very, very cold here and I bless you every time we head outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boxing Day is likewise relaxing around here. A short walk this morning. Some reading and puttering. Leftovers for lunch. It's a day with no expectations of accomplishing anything!
    Enjoy your day, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. puttering and leftovers sound good to me, Lorrie :)

      Delete
  6. Your Boxing Day traditions sounds wonderful. I don't particularly have a tradition, but love to go walking when it isn't raining. It is too wet here today, but I enjoy an outing to Trader Joe's just to shop without a list. This is rare for me and I did have fun. Then I just cleaned up ribbons, paper, and tags spread around the living room. It is sort of a lazy day too as there was reading and tea in the morning hours. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful dove to welcome a peaceful Boxing Day. All sounds serene, and just what I like for the day after Christmas. After a hectic day with little grandies, we spent Boxing Day quietly resting too, a bit of stitching and rather more TV than usual! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. It's always enjoyable to laze around on Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Boxing Day as well Mary ..... after the hectic Christmas Day, cooking dinner, stressing over wether it's all hot, it's good to just kick back and eat all the leftovers and treats. I actually ate half a pot of M&S salted caramel cream on Boxing Day ..... something I would only do at Christmas !!! We eat fairly healthily all year so Christmas is a time to have some naughty food ! I hope you are still enjoying a restful time. I love Christmas but I also like getting back to normal. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary I like the idea of Boxing Day. Generally I enjoy the week between Christmas and New Year. It allows me quiet time to contemplate and ponder the previous year and set down hopes for the coming New Year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.