Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Counting down the days -



The Winter Solstice ~

For the northern half of Earth (the Northern Hemisphere), the winter solstice occurs today, December 21 (The Southern Hemisphere’s winter solstice occurs in June.) The winter solstice is the day with the fewest hours of sunlight in the whole year, thereby making it also the “shortest day” of the year. After we reach the winter solstice, the days begin to grow longer again until we reach the Summer solstice—the first day of summer and the longest day of the year.



Brrrrrrrr, a cold morning on this shortest day of this year. This sparrow was just one of many birds searching for water. After refilling the feeders last weekend the birds have been busy in our  garden. Several have been hanging out on the front porch. A plain little female finch is spending the nights in one of the hanging baskets. Despite the Boston ferns looking somewhat tatty and sad now, we like to keep them up to provide shelter. Usually the pair of Carolina wrens tuck in the baskets but this winter, so far, they must have discovered new accommodation!



Inside the cottage it's warm. Our winter maintenance was done yesterday to make certain the HVAC is ready to deal with the extremely cold weather expected here over Christmas. The firewood was delivered and stacked. There will be a fire on the hearth most evenings when we're at home.


For me 'decking the halls' is done but I admit I have more things to check off my 'To Do' list. Mostly kitchen/food related, I have an apron close by and am ready to cook.


Glittering windows in the mall

Stopped in at the mall yesterday - going really early as we dreaded being caught up in the traffic and shoppers. I needed a battery in my wrist watch - I still like a regular (now considered old fashioned I fear) timepiece despite having an iPhone in my bag.  I loved what the jewelry store did - instead of charging for the battery and labor to install, we were asked to make a donation, in whatever amount we preferred, and it would go to 'Toys For Tots' providing Christmas gifts to needy local children.

While there, hovering over the display case showing diamond jewelry, chatting with the sales lady, I tried on beautiful diamond studs. . . . . . . but my personal 'Santa' took off on his sleigh in double time when he saw the price tag!!! I've really never craved a pair, and have always been saddened by stories from the diamond mines and the entire diamond mining business. Now of course there are lab-grown stones, less expensive and just as beautiful. . . . . . and wow, did they ever sparkle with my now silver hair.



14 comments:

  1. Dearest Mary,
    Oh those garden birds do really depend on caring humans that fill their feeders!
    We have quite a show when having breakfast as all feeders and bird baths are across from our kitchen bay window.
    How considerate for leaving those ferns up for bird–shelter!
    For years we have not burned any wood and even the artificial gas logs we have not used in quite a while... Old age!
    The battery of my Rado watch also needs replacing and we have to drop our Rado watches off at a repairman in Marietta. Quite a drive and this year I'm not heading that direction anymore.
    So I did wear my gold watch with gold band that I have to wind up myself. It still works perfect.
    Let us be old fashioned—it does have its own elegance!
    The one thing we cannot do with those watches is swim and using the app for monitoring the distance 😏
    You stay cozy and we too have frost here the entire week and Saturday it will be 17°F and that is cold for our area.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. At 21, my then boyfriend and I had no money, so we didn't have an engagement party or diamond ring... went straight to the wedding. Mum offered me her diamond engagement ring but I told her I was too hippy, too bohemian.

    By our 25th wedding anniversary, I was less hippy and was very happy to wear a diamond ring ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've just left a very cold spell behind and are now heading towards a green-brown Christmas instead of a white one. Never mind - it will make travelling so much easier, and there will be the usual back-and-forth on trains between my place and O.K.'s for me.
    The snow we've had last week was enough to add to the pre-Christmas mood for me, and who knows - winter has only just begun, and there might be more on the way.
    Stay warm and safe and DON'T stress yourself out - Christmas will come, whether you have checked off all the items on your list or not, and nobody will love you any less if the list is not complete :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it's really cold here our Wrens find a bird nestbox, or similar small space and then they all pile in. The record number of wrens found in a box was 63!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always a delight to see glimpses of your seasonal decor, dear Mary. I love the bird up high with the orange beak, it looks great. I too have a few squirrels tucked into my decorating, courtesy of my Canadian daughter. PS we are going over in May, I can hardly wait. Have a beautiful happy Christmas, and I hope the snow is not too heavy. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary, I have missed your beautiful birds. May we see more of them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mary - loving your three small silver christmas trees along with your other Christmas decor.
    We received an especially lovely card this week which came hot foot all the way from Raliegh! The image reminded me of your own pretty homestead.
    We have both had a rotten chesty cold so intend to spend a quiet simple Christmas together being warm and cosy at home.
    Wishing you and Bob a really lovely Christmas from us both 💗

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - your photo of the bird was so sweet. Yes it serves as a reminder for me to put out plenty of bird seed before the winter storm hits us. Take care and have a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing your little sparrow photo reminds me that it is getting to be that time of year when you tend to share your fabulous bird photography with us. I always enjoy that. We have been enjoying cardinals and woodpeckers at the suet feeder. They bring a bit of cheer to these gloomy days we have been having. Your decorating looks so nice. Love the little foxes. Best wishes to you and Bob for a very happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the news that there will be a fire each evening makes me happy. I have baking to do as well. Perhaps the battering wind and rain tomorrow will be conducive for such pursuits. Merry and Blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping you receive something sparkly from Santa. Stay warm and cozy by your fire. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mary,
    Beautiful images of your always elegant decor. I love the music sheet with Joyeux Noel and the bird printed on it. Most of my work is done, and I'm enjoying some time with my feet up catching up on blogs. Our world is still white with snow, but the temperature is rising and rain has fallen, so I'm sure it won't last very long. I do love the way it brightens the landscape. We're hearing about the bitter cold in other parts of the continent, so stay warm and cozy in your cottage.
    Merry Christmas blessings to you and Bob, from both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas Mary. Hope the weather isn't as bad as we are seeing on the tv where you are. Stay safe and warm and 'see' you in 2023. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute sparrow and I hope you get something sparkly from Santa :) Have a beautiful Christmas now!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.