Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Procrastination. . . . getting tasks done!



Happy tea time to my lovely friend Marilyn - an expert on teas from
 around the world -  who celebrates her birthday today.

A while to go before Easter but getting ready to do just a little decorating.
After all, I have rabbits, eggs, assorted bits and bobs which only come out to play at Easter. The cottage needs a good Spring clean but not until we cease lighting the fire - burning wood makes such a lot of dust. Once this cold spell is over, and the chocolate eggs are a sweet memory, cleaning will be done, along with gardening, both jobs requiring a lot of time and bending . . . . . and I am procrastinating.

I admit to becoming rather lethargic since the start of the year. Procrastination was never really on the list of my temperament traits, well not that I can remember. I've always been a busy person who completed what I started. Temperament refers to personality traits that determine how someone reacts to the world.Quiet or rambunctious? Easygoing or apprehensive? The traits of temperament are mostly innate, we are born with them, but they can also be influenced by an individual's family, culture or life's experiences.There is no right or wrong temperament—we are all unique in our style of thinking and interacting with the world.





I read an article about making one's daily work - and yes, even we retirees seem to have a lot to do - much more complicated and busier that it should be. If you feel you are procrastinating and having difficulty taking action, first sit down and do some deep breathing. Once relaxed, focus your thoughts on what's the most important thing requiring attention today and choose that one task. Get going on that task, perhaps telling yourself you'll just work on it for a few minutes. The good thing is you will most likely keep going much longer once started, you may even complete the entire task and can pat yourself on the back!


As you might have realized, the task for me today, after the other tasks of 
 making soup and baking St. Patrick's Day pistachio green muffins. . . . . .
. . . . . . . .was writing this blog post. 
Now, as I close here, I feel really good.

Of course I did do other things today including -
Pulling weeds along the driveway
Feeding and watering the neighbor's cat 
Writing e-mails
Rearranging flowers
Cleaning out the freezer
Making supper - off to do that right now

If you're up north in New England and digging out my thoughts
 are with you, especially those of you who received up to 35 inches
of new snow yesterday. Dear Jeanne in New Hampshire, we are
thinking of you . . . . . take care, leave that task to someone with a plow!


12 comments:

  1. Oh, dear! I can honestly say that I have dealt with procrastination innumerable times! Sometimes, we are able to eliminate it from our habits with a bit of self-discipline. I just cannot imagine 35 inches of snow!! Yes, I would definitely leave clearing a pathway through that to the professionals! We rarely have snow where we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ms. Nellie - have a great remainder of this week, they pass by so quickly it seems!

      Delete
  2. Oh poor Jeanne! It has been miserable...March really is holding onto winter. I think one of the reasons that I've become a procrastinator is that I know how much I am going to hurt when I am done. So, yes, best to focus and then take it in smaller bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear Vee, we must pace ourselves these days! I know how much I can do with back issues that impact my right hip/leg - and may have to consider another injection some day soon! Meanwhile I muddle along and just hope for a lovely stretch of spring weather, a bit warmer will be nice, prior to the heat/humidity of summertime down here!
      Take care dear friend.

      Delete
  3. I'm very good at procrastinating! ;-) Though hubby and I *finally* are working on a huge project: cleaning out the basement. This has been the most thorough job we've done of it in the almost-33 years of living here. We've already made four trips to donation sites to donate no longer needed/wanted things. I still have a bag of vintage items to take to a consignment/vintage shop; another bag of things to donate to an animal shelter; and then a pile of things to try and sell on Marketplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel you guys have really worked hard by sound of it - know it's a good feeling doing such a big clean out. We don't have a basement but there's a whole ton of stuff in the attic needing attention, sigh!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Guilty!! I'm a terrible procrastinator, but this always puzzles me as I will invariably feel smug and virtuous when deeds are finally done. Delayed gratification must be the reason for not changing my ways,hahah!

    I'm looking forward to your Easter decorations, dear Mary. We stayed with friends at the weekend who had a gorgeous pair of Herend bunnies on their mantlepiece. Green. With. Envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Pip, Herend bunnies must be awesome - their pieces are so beautiful, but very pricey being at the top end of the best porcelain made! My 'white rabbits', mass produced and more ordinary, are still much-loved though and I enjoy taking them out of their wrapping paper and box at this time of year . . . . . . . . . . and find it hard to pack them away again after Easter.
      Stay well and be happy.

      Delete
  5. Still being at least 12 years away from retirement (depending how the government of my home country will adjust - or not - the age line), I can not procrastinate at will; work requires for me to complete certain tasks at a defined time, or else I will be out of work quicker than I can say "procrastination".
    In my private life, however, I am a very selective procrastinator: Usually, with day to day stuff I like to be on top of things. I love my flat and keep it clean and tidy, and have no problem getting started on the steps that are necessary to keep it that way. But there are a few tasks always lurking at the back of my mind for a very long time before I actually tackle them, such as cleaning the windows, doing my tax declaration, and a few more.
    I keep putting these off until I really, really HAVE to do them (such as the deadline for taxes) or really can not stand to look at dirty windows a minute longer!
    By the way, your day sounds VERY busy indeed. Not having a garden (or entire house) myself, I can only imagine how much work that involves. But it is good, wholesome work, and the ones who ultimately benefit from it are you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great comment Meike. I often envy you having a smaller home to care for as although our house is not large by any means, it is work to keep up with the two levels both interior and exterior, and especially with the garden. . . . all of which are showing their age (like us!!!). Your final sentence is true and gives me food for thought!
      Hugs - hope your area of Germany is warmer than here right now!

      Delete
  6. Dearest Mary,
    You are so right about us retirees... It is harder and harder to get it all DONE.
    Hard to believe that on Tuesday February 21 I was all caught up—thanks to my new help for cleaning.
    And now I'm nowhere... Guess my rabbits and porcelain eggs will not come out this year...
    Also pulling weeds after the rains–when it is soft and easy, I cannot do.
    Six more sleeps and I know my right shoulder MRI results.
    Hate to live in uncertainty, not being able to plan anything.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a procrastinator, you have achieved quite a lot in one day! Perhaps I should get baking something green too. I like your method to focus with deep breathing, and to choose the most urgent thing first. We never catch up on 'everything' at our place, and we are usually very busy people. Overcommitting might be our failure! I still want to embrace everything in life, and my body would like me to slow down a bit. It is difficult to imagine all that snow up North (my daughter is almost snowed in) - when we are experiencing a 38C heatwave today! Looking forward to your beautiful Easter decor, dear Mary. xox

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.