Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Today is better -

 



Things are looking up somewhat around here. May greetings to you, a few days late as I've been feeling pretty rotten for almost a week. If you've ever been given one of those terrible antibiotics whose side effects make you much worse than you were before, you will know what I'm talking about!  Right now I'm eating again, much like the squirrel, nibbling little bits of what are supposed to be the best foods to support the human microbiome. 

What is the microbiome? We humans are mostly microbes, over 100 trillion of them. Microbes outnumber our human cells ten to one. The majority live in our gut, particularly in the large intestine The microbiome is the genetic material of all the microbes - bacteria, fungi, protozoa and viruses - that live on and inside the human body. The bacteria in the microbiome help digest our food, regulate our immune system, protect against other bacteria that cause disease, and produce vitamins including B vitamins B12, thiamine and riboflavin, and Vitamin K, which is needed for blood coagulation. The microbiome was not generally recognized to exist until the late 1990s.


I've been resting a lot and not doing any gardening other than watering 
sprouting herb seeds, hanging baskets and pots. They've not required
 much attention as we've had plenty of rain. The roses are lovely this spring, 
the hydrangeas are just starting to bloom, the grass is lush and grows so fast. 
The peonies were somewhat battered in the rainstorms.


Recently, my wonderful friend Vanessa visited her family in Brazil. 
She brought me some beautiful gifts including these crocheted runners
 made by her mother.  I met Celia just once some years ago when she
 visited here. So kind of her to make these for me, and in grey and
 cream cotton, perfect for my dining room - I love them.



Most recent flowers have been sweet-smelling white stocks from a
 Trader Joe's stop after a doctor appointment last Tuesday, mixed with
 greenery and a few roses from the garden. Yesterday the roses
 dropped their petals but the stocks are long lasting and still lovely.




Hoping May is already lovely in your area.  If you have a garden you are
 probably very busy now!  



18 comments:

  1. Sorry to read that you have been feeling so poorly, especially when you were hoping for a better result with the meds...glad that you are taking it easy and resting. What lovely runners from Celia. They work very well indeed in your dining room. Here's to brighter days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Vee, the things we go through to stay healthy! Sunny today but very breezy. Will sit out a little later as I need a dose of natural Vitamin D!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to learn that you‘ve been ill, Mary - what happened?
    I hope you continue to get better and can soon enjoy your food properly again.
    It‘s a great time of year for flowers and scent, isn‘t it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the flowers are lovely but whilst on that awful med the blossoms, and everything else, had highly enhanced scents which I found didn't help with the nausea caused by the antibiotics! Tests all came back negative for a slew of possible bacterial infections, so will move on and make some dietary changes and see what happens.
      Thanks for your concern Meike.

      Delete
  3. The after effects of meds can be very distressing. So sorry Mary. I could almost smell the scent of those beautiful stocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stocks' perfume is so strong - and I noticed that nasty antibiotic tripled my sense of smell so you can imagine they were almost overbearing for a couple of days!
      Today is my first day feeling better - I'm even enjoying toast and marmalade for breakfast ...........and getting ready to view the TV presentation of the the coronation very early tomorrow morning. Will have to set my alarm!

      Delete
  4. Dear Mary, I hadn't known that you were so sick - sorry, I wasn't regularly reading in blogspot - and I hope that you get better now. May and spring will help - the sunshine is invigorating, and take your time to heal. My best wishes to you! Britta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Britta - today I'm feeling better and having my first cup of coffee in a week! Perhaps tonight I'll sneak a little glass of Rosé (to toast King Charles and Queen Camilla) as I had to stay off any type of alcohol while on that awful medication, and for 3 days after stopping it!

      Delete
  5. Oh no, sorry to hear this Mary. I hope each day will be better for you now. I can imagine it has been even more challenging to be unwell at this time of year when the garden is calling. Nice that you have the pretty TJ's bouquet to cheer you. That runner is beautiful. What a lovely gift. Take care, dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, much better today and planning to get out in the garden for some weeding/trimming a little later!

      Delete
  6. The crocheted runners made by your friend's mum in Brazil look very professional. Inept handicraft people like myself can only admire other people's from a distance.
    Hels
    Art and Architecture, mainly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Brazilian friend did a wonderful job on the runners - crocheting is one of two sewing handicrafts I've never mastered, the other being quilting. I could sew you a Vogue gown, knit, embroider etc., but needless to say much of that is now history too due to eyesight and depleted energy/patience...........also a singer sewing machine requiring repairs!!!!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful runners Vanessa's mother made for you.
    I'm sorry to read that you've been ill. I hope you will continue to improve in health and energy. It's a beautiful time to be out in the garden. The stock must smell just heavenly.
    Take care, dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better today at long last Lorrie - may get out and do some gardening later this morning!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you're sick, Mary. Yes, antibiotics are nasty and very hard on your microbiome! I hope you are taking a good probiotic.

    That runner is lovely; what a nice gift from your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor is putting me on Florastor (are you familiar Mel?) once the antibiotic in my system is history! Stopping my usual probiotic for while so will be interesting to see if this new one helps with my gastric issues! If not we need to do more testing I guess!
      Hope all good with you and hubby xx

      Delete
  9. I am sorry you have been unwell! Antibiotics can do the trick, though they do have their side effects. Trader Joe’s always has such tempting flowers! We’ve been having cooler temperatures than usual for this time of year, along with a lot of wind. We’ve not done much gardening at this point; will probably wait another week or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we went to a different TJ's out of town - it was huge compared to ours, and the floral section blew me away!
      Much better thanks and planning some gardening later this morning!

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.